S10 help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikeylikesit5805, May 24, 2010.

1. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

I have a 97 S10,

Im pulling a small 5x8 trailer with about 1200 pounds on it. (walkbehind and tools) Its sags just enough to annoy me, and I dont really need anything bigger, I like getting 20+ MPG. I would like to add some kind of suspension in the rear, but im not sure what to go with. Would you go with (A) Timbrens (B) Add-a-leafs or (C) actually just add a leaf to the stack?

I really dont want to spend more than 200 dollars, any opinions would be great!

Thanks! :drinkup:

2. 2001FZ1

2001FZ1 LawnSite Member

3. mikeylikesit5805

from Kent OH

Im sure I could, have you tried that?

Thanks!

4. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Get the air bags; you'll be much more happier with the way it rides when you can loose the air when you're empty.

5. mikeylikesit5805

from Kent OH

so if I do this, will I need a compressor kit too?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

I have thoese same bags on my f-150. I would deff recommend them. They work amazing. No you do not have to get a compressor you can run a shrader valve to the back of the truck and fill them off of that.

7. 2001FZ1

2001FZ1 LawnSite Member

I put a set on the work truck (2500HD) Even with 800lb of tongue weight from the trailer, the truck doesn't sag and the ride is better. They are worth the money.

8. mikeylikesit5805

from Kent OH

Hey guys, Long time no posts....

Well I am still mowing and still have the same truck, I have picked up another mower. I now have a 52" hydro walk behind and a 48 Z, what are your thoughts on a tandem axle 6x14 foot trailer being pulled by a 4.3 v6?

I know its not ideal, but I drive about 17 miles all in town once a week (sat) I hate picking up a 2500 just for that.....

9. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

Air ride. you can add valves , compessor, or even one of those portable air tanks from wally world. do to the fact that the leaf springs are under the rear axel, by adding a leaf will actually lower this vehicle like a lowering block and shackle kit would do.

10. mikeylikesit5805

from Kent OH

Ive added two leafs and put load rated shocks, hoping it will help.