S10 or S15 for plowing

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Jul 28, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

In the past I have heard quite a few guys say that they plow with there little S10 4x4's.I am going to be picking up an S10 or S15 this month which should I look for?What engine size are you guys using?Any help would be great!!!<p>p.s.Are there any models I should not buy or do you know of any models with bad problems?<p><p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

2. Alan

Alan Member

Well, I've got 2 S-10s, both with 4.3 V6 and Auto. Both also have 3.42 (or close to that) axle ratios. I'd rather have 3.73 but no such luck. I'd hesitate to plow with less than the 4.3, but with a small plow it would probably work OK. I'm running 8' Sno-Way plows on the S, makes a nice combination, in my opinion. Having all that plow hanging out there sure makes it easy to sweep under mailboxes and such.

3. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

Alan-Thanks for the reply!So the 4.3L is the largest stock engine right?How is it on gas?How hard is plowing on these little trucks?Have you incountered any problems?What year are they?Sorry for all the questions but I will be buying an S10 very soon so I need answers very fast:)Agian thanks!Any one else plow with an S10???<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

It all depends on what year truck you buy. For new s-10/15 there are few mounting kits available. So your type of plow is very limited.<br>Dino

5. Alan

Alan Member

One is an 88, the other 91. The 91 will give 20 mpg over the road, the 88 only about 16, no idea why the difference. Other than the axles the drivetrain is the same as the full sized trucks, so plenty rugged. They really can use Timbren boosters on the front suspension to handle a plow better. My personal preference would be a Series 25 Sno-Way in 7'6&quot; although they push an 8' very nicely. Stick with good tires, I'm running Cooper Weathermaster, 225/75-15 XL on mine and they will push like a big truck. Tire choice is important as you don't have a lot of weight to make traction. You can expect to replace torsion bar mounts yearly if you plow with them, not a big deal and not very expensive. Put a transmission cooler on and run syntehtic fluid (good idea in ANY plow truck). The only thing I don't like about them is that after a lot of hours at the wheel they get a bit more cramped than a full size does. Incidentally, both of mine are short bed models with teh regular cab.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I am plowing with an old 84 S10 4x4 excab,it started out as just a backup/driveway truck.After using it a while I have come to depend on it more,so I might get a newer one-if this one would just die-but it is still going strong.I have a 2.8 multi port FI engine in mine I swapped it in,had a 2.8 carburated stock.it pushes great,partly because I have a locking diff and 4.10 gearing.If I were you Id get a 4.3 v6 only,but a 2.8 will push just as much snow,just work harder doing it.I am very happy with how the S10 plows with a 6.5 ft plow.It will just take a little longer to get big jobs done.Mine is almost as fast in big lots as my 3/4 ton GMc,it maneuvers like a slot car in parking lots so you save time backing and turning around.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I put a big B&M trans cooler on mine before I even mounted the plow frame,I also use it to pull an 18ft trailer,so the cooler was good insurance.My torsion bar mounts are still original and havent separated yet,I noticed that my brothers 4.3 eats them every year too.I run cooper discoverer M+S,they are loud on pavment but they are great in mud and snow,and it seems like I always have that truck in one or the other.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

Thanks for the replys!I'm looking at about 85-91 S10 or S15.So from what I have been reading buy the 4.3L V6.Use synthtic oil add a tranny cooler and so on.I would be useing it for almost all residential jobs.Would this truck be good for that?How many driveways on avrage could you knock off in 12 hours?Do you guys think that this would be a good truck to use as a first start in plowing?Agian sorry for so many question but I like have a good idea of what I'm getting into_Oh ya!2 more questions!What are all the plow makers that make plows for 85-91 s10 or s15.And do any of you guys have pics of your s10's in action????Thanks for all the help!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

9. Alan

Alan Member

I only know of Fisher and Sno-Way. Fisher limits out at around 6'6&quot;, maybe 7' because of the weight. My 8' Sno-Way is about the same heft as the 6'6&quot; Fisher. As for how many driveways, that will depend on how far apart and how big, so no hard and fast number there. The S makes a perfect residential rig. Start small and build up to what you can handle. We had 18 accounts the first year, both residential and commercial. Got up to around 60 last winter, too many for only two plows. We only used one of the S trucks last year, kept the other in reserve. Had the second plow on a 97 K2500. I just bought a used Sno-Way Vee plow, so we'll be in better shape this winter. Sno-Way has downpressure, so you can backdrag from garage doors much better than any other brand.

10. SLC1

SLC1 Guest

We use a 1997 Toyota pickup truck for cleanup work and for sidewalks at some of our large complexes and have had excellent luck with it. We have a 6 1/2' Fisher Plow on it and it only has the four cyclinder engine it and is automatic. We don't have any problems with power and works quite well for what we use it for. So I would think you should have no problems with a new Chevy S-10 truck.<br>