S175...a$$ heavy??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PLM-1, Sep 23, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does this machine feel like it is going to flip over backward at any moment to anyone?? I have one that i am using and it is very tippy feeling. Does it take a lot to tip this thing? how far backward CAN it go? will the engine cover stop it from tipping? i'm not on anything crazy by any means, but if you run over a rock the damn thing feels like it's going over. I was moving gravel with it and it constantly only had a couple of wheels on the ground.

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Terrafirma has a similar machine, but tires and bucket are you running? By engine cover, do you mean the tailgate?

3. PLM-1

I'm not too up on the "lingo" but the tires are look more like a forktruck tire, the shoulders are more square. And the bucket is a toothed bucket not much wider than the track of the Bobcat and also a smooth bucket a little more narrow than the other. By engine cover I mean the orange part.

4. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

My 773T (S185) is probably heavier than yours in the rear because I have the additional counterweight bolted inside the engine compartment door. The wheel spacers also add some additional counterweight to my machine. It only seems light when I don't have an attachment on the front or empty forks. Without an attachment, I can wheelie on a whim. The machine shouldn't tip over backward because it hits the bottom rear skid plate of the machine. My wife hates it when I dance around on the rear tires. With empty forks, its pretty light on the front, but not too bad.

The heavy rear end is nice counter weight for lifting. I lifted 12 LVL beams which were 32' long and weighed 224 pounds each. Total pick weight was 2,688#, well over the ROC of the machine. The truck driver didn't think I would even budge them and was totally suprised when I picked the whole bundle up and moved it around the yard.

For dirt work, I don't notice it light in the rear. I use 74" LP and 74" C&I buckets which are only about 15 pounds heavier than a 68" bucket.

5. PLM-1

Thanks for the replies...my adrenaline and nerves can calm down now! lol

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I'm still a little curious as to why your S175 seems so tippy... the S175 is a better-balanced machine the 773, and the 773 wasn't too atrocious with a bucket load. If there are other operators familiar with Bobcat products, you may have them try it out... although I would tend to suggest not worrying, it is odd that you have that perception.

7. PLM-1

It's a little more than a perception! LOL You should see the look on my helps face when i'm using it. One said today "I thought you were going over!"