1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

S185 won't accept grease

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mcryan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mcryan

mcryan LawnSite Member

Hi I have a 2004 bobcat S185 skid. Two of the zerks will not accept grease. I have replaced both zerks and I still can not get grease in there. One zerk is the medium sized that is where the cylinder attaches to the quick attach plate, and the other is the small zerk at the base of the latch for the plate. Any ideas what to do or why this has happened. I appreciate in advance any insight into the problem.
    Thanks Ryan

2. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

not greased often enough
    For best results remove the pin where cylinder attaches the quick attach plate and remove all the dried grease

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

yep the pin was not grease enough and the grease has gotton hard with dirt and clogged up the fitting. you'll have to pull the pin out and fitting and clean out the grease hole through the bushing and pin if its got one.

4. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

it is also possible the bushing in loader arm spun some ...so check if hole of grease fitting and hole in bushing still lineup

5. mcryan

mcryan LawnSite Member

I suspected that it was not greased enough. Thanks for the advice.

Ryan

6. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

One trick I use is to Carefully apply motion to joint while greasing, a two man job, but works pretty well. IMO, the electric grease guns have quite a bit more pressure than a hand pump, and between these I can get grease into most stuck fittings.

7. SellingIron

SellingIron LawnSite Senior Member
    from FTE

Sounds like the bushings have turned.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I do that as well when needed.

9. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

Just pull the pin. For the few minutes it takes to do that you'll save it in farting around.

10. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

I have had problems with pins not taking(nothing wrong with the zerk) grease on several bobcats. 2 skids(both bucket pins) and a hoe(Stick cylinder and bucket pins) I have been told that bobcat has the tightest pin tolerances of any manufacturer. If the pin or bushing is a little out of spec(or both) it can make greasing difficult at best. Not sure if it's true, but the guy who told is generally a good source for such info.