s200 - stalls after 5-10 minutes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snowintoronto, Mar 9, 2008.

1. snowintoronto

snowintoronto LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Hi,

My trusty Toro S200 starts well and runs strong for around 5-10 minutes and then dies.... I then need to leave it alone for around an hour in order to get it going again.

I've checked the primer and it works, I've also adjusted the fuel air screws so and the machine runs strong... until it stalls.

I normally spray some starter fluid into the carb when it's cold and tough to start but even this does not help once the machice stalls after the 5-10mins.

Any tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vince

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

next time it stalls check for spark if there is spark then it is probably a fuel problem, this sounds like it could be a clogged gas cap vent, air has to get in the tank in order for the fuel to drain out, try taking the gas cap off next time this happens or leave it loose and see how long it runs

3. snowintoronto

from Toronto

Hi - thanks for the tip, there was ice in the gas cap!

So I'm almost there, now I need to get the fuel-air mixture set right as I have the machine idling very nicely with no surging and a pretty high rev.

Challenge is that it's running way to hot when moving the snow now, I assume I just need to get the fuel-air mixture (screw that is further away from the engie) set correctly.

My two extremes are that it has no power, or it starts to smoke.

4. snowintoronto

from Toronto

And still some trouble :confused:

Carb was cleaned out and fuel line is clean but this thing has a mind of it's own. It would over heat when under load so I figured it was running lean and did a 1/4 turn counter clockwise on the power screw.

BUT- I can't win with this thing. One day I'll run it for an hour with no probs, the next it won't start, or it overheats in 5 minutes.

Losing my mind on this one... any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it's overheating...

Maybe the spark plug is too hot a heat range, thou I would think this would
    simply result in plug failure...?

The oil might need changing, or maybe it doesn't have enough.

But as likely the cooling fins and the whole machine could need a good dusting off, it is possible if after time the dirt build-up?
    Also check the exhaust for obstructions.

Then if none of that does it, hopefully someone else has some idea.

6. tank

tank LawnSite Member

Might want to check head gasket!

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I have no idea how long it might have been since the carb has had a rebuild, but all S-200's that I worki on automatically get a new needle/seat and a diagphram kit. I have encountered many that have sat with fuel over the summer and the carb has leaked fuel into the bottom of the crankcase. To get rid of this built up fuel, get the unit started then tilt the handle down to the ground and see if the engine starts to emit excessive smoke. If it does smoke, raise the handle and let the engine recover. Sometimes this process must be repeated several times to evacuate the excess fuel mix in the crankcase. Until the engine will run with the handle down without smoking, you have not gotten rid of the fuel mix in the crankcase. If this happens to be the source of your problem, I would certainly replace the carb parts mentioned to correct the fuel leaking into the engine.

If the engine acts sluggish, I would suggest checking the exhaust port for carbon build up. Have you checked the compression? Is it possible that the unit may have been straight gassed? If so, an engine may run well until it warms up then may struggle due to lack of proper compression. If you happen to pull the muffler to check the exhaust port, check the cylinder for possible damage.

Dutch