1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sacg Cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steelcity, Nov 26, 2002.

1. steelcity

steelcity LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I was reading the new lawn and landscape mag and i came across an ad for the scag cougar. has anyone had any experience with this machine? is it reliable? or does it hold up well? i am looking to next year and i am looking for a mower a mower with this type of setup. yes i am also looking at a Walker but i had never seen this mower before. dealer support for this or the walker is not a problem in my area both are reputable businesses.
    anyway looking for any input..
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Use the "search' feature and look at posts over the past couple of years. They don't paint a very pretty picture. If you want results like a Walker produces, then better get the Walker.:)
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

From what I see on here from Walker owners, I believe this is a very true statement.

However, I did run into another local LCO at the gas statio tody. He had a huge Kubota front mount and a Toro Z 350. I talked to him a minute and asked if I could look the Toro over.

After eyeballing it a little, I mentioned it was sorta like the Walker design. I asked him if he had ever seen one since I've never seen one locally. He said as a matter of fact he did demo one and chose the Toro instead.

This is no to say that the Toro is better. Actually I highly doubt it. But mowers are more a matter of personal preference. So you might want to take a look at the Toro. Never hurts to shop and compair.

I actually found a Walker dealer...finally!
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go Walker, you won't be disappointed. You have to remember that the Scag Cougar is a take-off of the Walker. I personally have not demo'ed the Scag. Do a search and I think you will find the answer you are looking for.

For certain applications, the Walker is unbeatable.

5. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

I have a Scag Cougar and I like it. I demoed the Toro, Walker and a Ransome and I chose the Cougar. I like the options I have with the Cougar. I can bag, mulch, or dicharge, WITHOUT changing decks like the Walker. I like not having a gear box on the deck. I had a Scag Turf Runner and had to replace 2 gearboxes. If you are operating the mower yourself you will not have much trouble with the gearbox but, if you have employees operating it you will have some problems. I do not like that the Cougar sits up much higher than the Walker. My advice to you is demo the Cougar and the Walker and choose which one fits your needs.
  6. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

The Walker has an all metal chute for the GHS. The Scag is plastic.

The Walker has an ocillating feature that allows the hopper to fill completely. The Scag is fixed.

The Walker has an alarm that alerts you to when the hopper is full. The Scag's is an option.

The Walker has blades that counter rotate on the GHS decks. The Scag's do not counter rotate. And they tout it as an advantage saying that you don't have to buy an extra deck in order to side discharge.

I really think that if you're looking for a machine in the "Walker" genre, you'll hate yourself forever if you don't go ahead and get the Walker.
  7. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Now that is the information he is looking for. Very good information. But, the Cougar does have the ocillating feature. My hopper fills every time. I also have the alarm feature and it will turn off the blades when the hopper is full.

I do not like it when people just say "Brand X is better because they just are" You should give detailed information and advise them to demo each product and decide for themselves.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

The walker shute is only partially metal, the bottom portion is all plastic....... and teh opening is extremely small and clogs excessivly when the grass is wet or the leaves are wet.... The Walker from my experience is good for slow growing well manicured lawns, but for more production and faster growth rates, I think next time I will go with a Scag....... Yes it sits higher, but what u gonna do... cant have everything... it's what sutes your needs, and I'm sick of uncloging my deck...
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Chute Plugging? I never have any trouble with the chute plugging except when grass is heavily overgrown and real wet. In those conditions, I just slow down a little. I have never had chute plugging trouble when collecting leaves.You can run at top speed and get real good results unless leaves are piled higher than the deck. Then you have to slow down a little. I used my Walker with a 42" GHS deck on one big leaf removal job last Friday where we loaded collected over 2100 lbs. of leaves in less than 3 hours.i would not call that slow.:D
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I know it's nice to have extra speed there when you can use it. But really...what do you think the actual max mowing speed is that you can still do a good job of both mowing and collecting? Besides that, how othen can you really use the extra speed anyways?

I demoed an Exmark that does 9.5 mph...big freaking deal...I couldn't use any of the extra ground speed on the particular property. Too much dang banging around. What good is speed you can't use?

Now if I lived in the flatlands and most of my properties were nice and smooth, of course I'd want to take advantage of a faster "mowing" speed. Heck who wouldn't?

I'm not on either side of the fence here between any of these machines. I just feel for the most part high speeds are overated and impractical. Atleast in my area anyways.

Believe me! What looks smooth from the truck seldom feels smooth from the mower :dizzy: