Sacrifice Quality For Price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

For the poeple who have been in the business for years and years I can understand you jumping to say no on this answer as you've had the opportunity to raise your standards and weed out the PITA's. I remember bobby mentioning something of the like where you offer a "Plan B" service, I forget the actual terms of the contract. It seems evident that there is a market out there for lower standards. There are a large number of potential customers who could care less about a professional cut with perfect stripes and an edge on the sidewalk. My question to you: Would you sacrifice quality for price? I know part of it has to do with your image, but is image everything? Do you think you'd make more money if you targeted a lower class suburb with a lower level of service?

2. Holders Residential

Holders Residential LawnSite Member

I give my customer a choice in what they want. If they can only spend a certain amount dpending on the size of the yard of course I will do it the fastest way possible. But I never do a bushhog job and leave amess because I dont want that kind of reputation. But if a customer wants a more detailed cut and their willing to pay for it then I give it to them. Both are profitable I try to make same amount per hour in both places. That being said I wont mow just anything for just anybody anymore. I try to take on yards that are close together either kind to limit driving time and loading time. I havent found a way to make money while driving . Thought about making my truck a traveling billboard and selling space on it.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

no. the thing is, those people are no less demanding, just they are tight with their money. If you can't afford walmart you go to the dollar store. Walmart doesn't lower the price for you. And if you can't go to the dollar store you go to the salvation army. Same thing

bottom line is figure out if you want to be Macy's, Target, Walmart, the dollar store or the salvation army. Then pursue customers accordingly with the understanding that low price volume rarely makes up for charging a decent price.

4. Holders Residential

I think what you have to remember is that your in control of your own business. Not the custmer and if they start asking for more than they asked for and there not reasonable request then charge or drop them. On the other hand you have to give them what you promised or yhey will bug the crap out of you. I find if i do right from the beginning that in time most customers wont bother you much unless its a service they are willing to pay for.

5. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I know it costs me time, but I just cant do a substandard job,nor do I want my guys to get in that mindset of "good enough". I price my services and if they want me they hire me.Have to admit I give to much to new accounts sometimes that turn out to be PITAs that dont care about their yards as much as I do.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

gotta remember to cut a 10K sqy foot of turf its takes the same amount of time, you relly can't short-cut it.
    yeah you can skip edging one week, or not sharpen your blades(which means it will take you even longer), but to bbascialy mow/blow-n-go cutting the same amount of sqft on a class A prop VS something less is the same. if any thing, cutting good quality grass is actually faster and easier than cutting weeds.

In my biz, the folks who wanted the better looking properties paid me extra for shrub maint, and chemical apps.

7. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Your example holds no argument. Lets say you walk into WalMart for a microwave. You can spend anywhere from $35-$100 some dollars depending on what features and quality you are looking for. There are people that don't give a darn what their lawn looks like, just so it gets cut. Then there's people who want top-notch service at any price. Then you get the ones who chew you down on price and stand there and watch you, then complain about everything you did wrong, when they paid for the cheaper service in the first place. :confused:

8. Holders Residential

Its quality work at afair price is what they want in most areas of the country.You cant really compare WAL-MART and Maceys both back their product but one sells more vlume and the other sells the brand name. I think lawncare is overall different mainly because because your selling a service. Some customers are more worried about image so they will pay extra for someone todo there lawncare who looks G.Q. and drives a Hummer to the worksite. But most just want there lawn cut nice for fair price and any other work is an upsale. So most of us need to balance our business between the two and stay versatile.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

it isn't a perfect analogy, but what is.
    Macy's provides very good customer service and typically has a sales staff that has some concept of the product and is willing to help you find the right product.
    Walmart is do it yourself, pick the wrong product and get an inferior quality product than those sold at Macy's.
    The dollar store does not sell the same products as Macy's or Walmart, but does sell some similar purpose product with really crappy quality and tons of useless items
    Salvation Army is surplus.

all I am saying is there are lawncare companies for each desire and price level. pick who you want to be and understand what will come from that.

Macy's the clients will pay well but generally will demand top notch service and a broad array of services. Comparatively few people and may be difficult to make a successful business.

Salvation Army clients will often pay late or need to be chased but are happy / demand very infrequent service. Lots of these people but may be difficult to make a successful business not due to volume but due to not getting paid or getting such a weird schedule.

10. Holders Residential

Ive had PITA customers on both sides.Just as Im sure that Macys andWAL-MART have. Sometimes for payment sometimes for service. But what we have here is a business where in many cases since we serve the same clientel every week we develop more of a relationship. Therefore there is more accountability on both sides. This is why I taylor my business according to what the individual asks for. And what I want or have time to do.