Sad day for a slug

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

So, We plowed in a line that had been laying out (40' or so) since friday.

After we dug up were the heads were, I went to cut the pipe and put the first tee in and I cut right through a slug that was inside the pipe.

This was a big slug, around 4" long. It came out in two squirming 2" halves.

I think the odds of that one spot I chose to cut having a slug in it are pretty rare, funny stuff.

At least I got it out now, instead of having to fish it out of a clogged valve later.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... once had cockroaches clog up a couple of sprinklers in a manual zone. Apparently they entered the lines through the ASV.

3. Dirty Water

I had to flush a bunch of earwigs out of a 300 series streamrotor nozzle once.

Speaking of Streamrotors, I installed 5 today for watering a steep groundcovered hillside (Heavy Clay, No above ground bumber pipe for me :laugh: ), and one of them didn't rotate correctly, right out of the box. This is way too common to me.

It makes a clicking noise, rotates for 30 seconds, stops and makes more clicking noises. I think I'll yank it out tommorow.

4. PurpHaze

For some reason earwigs were way out of control this year. They seem to have settled down to normal now but they were traveling in huge packs in the spring. June bugs are out and about now and they are my wife's worse nightmare. Last year it was black widows in abundance so I'm wondering what it will be next year.

I've had a few do this over the years but not many. They tend to be pretty reliable right out of the case but doo-doo happens. I just had a case of Hunter I-20 ADS ultras where three sprinklers were bad. They wouldn't adjust and had a grinding feel when adjustment key was inserted and turned. I just returned them and the next three cases were no problems.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are you using ready-to-run 300's? I always have to make mine up from blanks and nozzles and arc discs (stainless steel only, please) - the one trouble that I always have to worry about is using a 63 nozzle in a 90 degree head, since sometimes only a single stream is spraying, and the gear drive just might decide to stop turning.

6. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I was testing a system a few years ago and found that one 24" riser wouldnt water...was plugged completely. Took the whole shrub tip off the riser and turned the system on and when the pressure built up...a 6" long plug of dead baby pillbugs (rolly pollys) flew out the top. Been dead along time by the stink of it too.

7. Dirty Water

I made them up from blanks.

I was using 300-03's and 180 degree arc discs.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Isn't it strange how a crustacean that needs a moist area to survive cannot live directly in water?

9. PurpHaze

We also use nothing but the originals. I don't cotton to the newer one (XP I think). We only use the 03 and 02 nozzles. Found that the 01s get clogged too easily in our area.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I know Toro was selling a stream rotor head with their 'Omni' nozzle and plastic half-circle arc disc already installed. Blechh.

I think the XP-300 is/was an attempt at a longer throw from the stream rotor design. I've installed a couple, and they cover just fine, but they still can't match the distance a standard rotor can spray.

I get other heads that can give out with 'gear-grinding' noises when first installed and running.