Sad day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn guy1350, Jan 19, 2007.

1. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

Well it looks like i may be dropping my lawn care company and will going to work for a landscape/landscape lighting company. i got to tell you im very nervous about dropping my business but this looks like a very smart financial deal, last year was my worst year for mowing and i really took a hard hit in the financial part, but i hope this will turn things around! i will still be around here tho, so you havent heard the last of me. i really hope this is a smart move on my part! thanks!

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

sorry to hear that. was it lack of customers, weather related droughts, or something else that caused this??

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It takes a big man to admit he made a decision that is just not working out. It takes an even bigger one to admit it on such a public forum. You have probably made the best decision for you and your family. I'm sure you wont miss the headaches. Congratulations on making a decision to change :clapping: .

4. lawn guy1350

none, i have actually built a good business. but i made a bad decision last year in doing a business partnership. and it hurt this year. i was still going to go on with this season but this offer was put in my lap, and i decided it was the oppurtunity of a life time. im still going to keep all my clients, they will just be serviced by this company im working for. im going to be the head of the lawn and landscape part of this business, so im basicly doing the same thing just with out the headaches of tryin to run the business. so we'll just see how it works. i will always have the option to get out, so we'll just see how it goes.

5. lawn guy1350

i definately dont think ill miss all the head aches and stress, but i will miss the freedom of being a business owner....but lets hope it works out for the best.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK... since this has been brought up here now... I just want to say I have been interested in the same type of acquisitions for quite some time now. I'm not interested in discussing a lot of specific details... but rather to suggest I think you are probably going to work for someone pretty darn sharp.

I also wanted to say there is no shame in this at all. Sometimes I think if a bigger fish than me were interested in dealing with all the people for me, I'd be content to just mow and be without the headache of customer relations.... for a handsome sum of money of course.

Also lawn guy, since you are on the opposite end of this, I'd like to hash some things over with you from your perspective. Primarily because I lost the opportunity to make two other acquisitions of the same kind. But both just decided to sell out and get out. Sold their businesses to someone else who just wanted the accounts and got a regular job.

I'm trying to figure out if that's just what they wanted to do...
    Or if I made a mistake that cost me the opportunity of getting them...

7. Az Gardener

One great thing about someone turning over a portion of the operation to you is you can usually still operate independently as long as the wheels don't come off.

Run the company as if it were your own,when you try out new things if they work great if they don't you are gambling with house money. You are still very young, I didn't start my first business until I was 34 You will have lots of time to jump back into the fire if the new situation does not work out.

8. Az Gardener

I think this is something we could all learn from. I hope you will discuss it in the open thread as opposed to PM's.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I sure will be doing that.

Well I will so long as it doesn't become a bash-fest where I'm the target.
    You know what I mean....

I don't want to hijack lawn guy's thread though... unless he doesn't mind to discuss it here in it.

10. Az Gardener

Yeah I know, We capitalist we are Ba****ds always making a buck off the little guy :dizzy:

If we learn something I think it is worth the abuse.