Sad news, this is why you need insurance!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gatewayuser, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why you need to have insurance and not let people be around when you work. This happened about 10 mins away from me.

Man Killed From Falling Tree Branch
    LAST UPDATE: 11/30/2006 4:17:09 PM

A Clermont County homeowner died Thursday afternoon when he was hit by a falling tree branch. It happened shortly after noon at a home on Woodridge Drive in Miami Township. 74 year-old James Whitson was watching a tree-trimmer at the time of the accident. Whitson was taken to Bethesda North Hospital, where he later died.

Channel 12 news www.wkrc.com

2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Why do people insist on getting close to where you're working? I'm constantly asking people to move away from where I'm working. My neighbors let their kids play around them while they're mowing. People think it'll never happen to them. It never ceases to amaze me on how many people die in car wrecks by not wearing their seat belts. That only happens to other people.:dizzy:

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Life, is hard when your dumb.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty dumb to let the homeowner stand in the vicinity of tree-trimming work.

Heck, when I'm mowing, I insist that customers stay inside, and I've even asked the neighbors to please keep their children inside while I'm mowing.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's what you need to do, guys.

Anytime a customer feels that they are safe around me, and I hate somedays to spend the time, but it is absolutely essential to stop what I am doing and explain to them the importance of keeping about a 500 foot distance from any running agricultural machinery. That is, please watch from inside the house so if anything goes wrong, hopefully the distance keeps them safe.

But yes, insurance might be helpful, then again I'm not filing no case of neglect.

6. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

Another good thing to do is making sure your equipment is secure on the trailor. I saw a small piece in the local paper just yesterday. It happened on a state highway about 15 minutes from here. A guy was hauling his mower on his trailor when the mower fell off his trailor and struck a motor cycle riding behind him. The cycle rider couldn't avoid the mower and it struck his bike knocking him off of his bike. Thanksfully he lived but he's going to be laid up for awhile.

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of factors to consider into this. But why would the tree trimmer even cut a branch with him close by without a hard hat on. Also I wonder if the branch did not fall the way the trimmer intended it to go too.

But this is a very sad story and it is just another story about safety first before you do your job.

JP

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

that's such a shame. that poor guy, he was just an old timer, probably wanted to come out of the house and watch to see what was going on.
    he should have been told to go back in the house, what a terrible thing to happen.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

DITTO!!!:hammerhead:

10. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

This is another reminder for all of us to take the time to make sure that we and everyone around us are safe before we start on a job.