Sad story about bush hogging in rural Arkansas

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by orehcnar, Aug 7, 2005.

1. orehcnar

orehcnar LawnSite Member

This is the story from The Graphic, Clarksville AR., Wed., Aug. 3rd 2005, it reads...Lamar Resident Dies In Accident - Jerry Bourland, 21, of Lamar died as a result of a bush hogging accident near his Garrett Rd. residence around 8:30 pm Mon.,Aug. 1st 2005. Lamar Police Chief Arron Arnold stated Bourland traveled to where his wife was bush hogging and in an attempt to take an item from Bourland, the wife's foot slipped from the clutch and Bourland was struck and run over by the tractor and the bush hog. Bourland was pronounced dead at the scene by Johnson County Deputy Coroner Ashley Davis.
    To make the story even worst, the couple were newly weds and Bourland was showing his wife how to use the equipment when the accident occurred. So please take notice of this sad story and practice safety more especially if training someone to use the equipment. Pick a safe place and time to do so and always shut equipment down when needing to exchange items, and never put yourself in the path or area of danger when equipment is moving. Hope someone will learn from this sad encounter. A concerned resident of Clarksville AR. orehcnar@yahoo.com :confused:

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

21 years old, thats horrible. Safety First, you really need to learn from these accidents, awful.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Darwin is an unforgiveing individual.........

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard several stories similar to that. The machines that I will not let my guys use is the Brush hog, chainsaws, brush blade trimmer, (chipper and stump grinder when we rent one) Those are the most unforgiving. I had my close call once with my brush hog. I Jumped off the machine to move a rock. When I bumped the hydro petal. The tractor moved with brush hogging running. While I was standing next to it. Scared the living crap out of me. Now I always shut the pto off when getting off it now. It only takes one mistake, to ruin your day with equipment.