Saddle Clamp Problems: Just for Peter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Sep 23, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic from last Tuesday on a main line leak we were repairing when my back pain got so severe that I had to seek medical attention. The SCH 80 nipple was installed fairly loose... thus creating a leak and swampy area needing attention. It was so loose where the nipple enters the valve that the valve could be turned using one finger. (I took video of the looseness but it's too large to post here.) Why they used a saddle clamp instead of a glued 4" x 4" x 2" PVC tee is beyond me. This now makes approximately 25 leaks/breaks on our three newest elementary school sites with systems that are three years old or less.

Four Creeks Mainline Leak 9-18-07 IV-01.jpg

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Cause they are lazy, short cutting hacks?

3. That saddle clamp has to cost a lot more than a tee. I can't see how they saved time either.

4. PurpHaze

I suspect that they really didn't have a completed design so they just put the main line in and then used saddle clamps to put the valves where they wanted them after the fact.

This same site had fencing, irrigation and run-off gutter/mow strips put in at the back side of the field area and then it was discovered (via additional surveying) that it all went beyond the actual property line. Everything had to be ripped out and moved/re-done. :dizzy:

AND... There are exactly two points of ingress/egress for vehicles/mowers/etc. onto the site's field area and both of them take you smack dab through the middle of students and require the opening/closing of several gates. I had to wait over 45 minutes in severe pain before I was able to leave the site and go to the doctor.

5. PurpHaze

Me either... but who knows what the inspector was doing at the time... probably having HER nails done.

6. I feel for you on the back issue Purp. Mine is about to make me find a new career. My business was never designed for me not to be a hands on participant and by 2-3 everyday I can barely bend over. In order to work 6 hours a day I have to rest my back and stay off my feet for the other 18 it seems like. I'm going to spend this winter contemplating my future options.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Consulting my friend, consulting. :dancing:

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Consulting & site management....overseeing worker bees is what kept my
    sixty + year old body intact without serious problems. Hank has to be a
    owner/operator for a while, he's trashed in his forties due to a dirt-bike
    misshap. Advil..I feel for you guys.:cry:

9. How my friend, how:confused:

That is an option I have long considered. I guess i need to see who would be my market and how do I get started. I have a degree in agronomy turf management from TAMU but I don't think I have quite your credentials Kiril. We may have to trade some private pms on this matter.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I like to group it all together under one umbrella.

ML has got a good situation going. He has someone that he trusts to do the work while he sits back and consults. :dancing:

Given the vast majority of landscape management co's (eg. lawn boys) know nothing about irrigation, that is a good place to start. :)