1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

saddle tee's? where to find?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Edgemaster, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Edgemaster

Edgemaster LawnSite Member

We're gonna try pulling pipe instead of trenching and see how it goes. I've been looking for a supplier of saddle tee's but haveing trouble. Whats the best style? I've seen the kind that pierce the pipe for you and have heard about the ones that you glue on and drill the hole. I plan on trying pvc to start so i need some that will work with pvc, not poly. Thanks
  2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've used saddle tees a couple of times on 3" and 4" PVC but we didn't pull the pipe in. :)

One has lasted over twelve years now without any problems. However, when we glued it on we also bound it with a couple of 5" diameter hose clamps just to be on the safe side until things set up properly. :laugh:
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Check out these saddles - not for sch 40 pipe, as far as I know.
  5. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I get mine from my supplier, JDL. The other local supplier here also carries them so I would think that any irrigation supply house would have them.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta remember that supply houses (even large nation-wide suppliers that may show an item in their national catalog) will cut back on those items that don't sell well in a particular area. No sense using precious stocking space for an item that doesn't go out the door that often. For example, if trenching is prevalent in an area the supply of poly and their fittings for pulling pipe may not be as readily available.

Our local Ewing used to not carry the Hunter WVC controllers because apparently nobody in the area was using them. According to them we were the first to start asking for them although they did stock the SVC. When we first started switching to their use our local Ewing store would get them from another store or distribution center within a couple of days. Now they keep some of them on hand for us because we order them on a semi-regular basis.
  7. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good point because my JDL stocks spears but in another thread it is said he can only get Lasco from JDL. Plus I have to request saddles they aren't normally stocked.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just use regular tee's and slide the pulled pipe. I've installed thousands this way.
  9. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

true but saddle tees means less digging and no sliding = faster install.
  10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used Spears clamp-on saddles?

I've never gone the route of using saddles at all in my work, and I've especially been apprehensive of the glue-on types holding up under pressure. The Spears call for 8 or 10 pounds of torque when tightening, but I wonder how many people are actually using a torque wrench to do this?