SAFARI Trunk Sprays: Anyone doing these?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Mar 23, 2010.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Found out Mauget system can't handle the smaller trees I work on - for bores, and the like.

Mauget Rep recommended trunk sprays using Safari.

Is anyone doing this?

2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

if i remember correctly it is in the same family as arena and aloft. neo-nicotines. you spray the truck of the tree chest level and down and the chemical will travel VERY quickly into the upper tree.

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You use Pentra Bark as a surfactant. I looked into basal bark sprays a few years back using imidicloprid, but I was not sold on how well it really works. Don't want to end up with dead trees I supposedly protected... Small trees are tough though-Most people don't care to save them is what I have found. If they are that small, they want to replace it with another tree that is less prone to problems. Soil injection is an option also.

4. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

You can also do bark sprays for borers with onyx and dont need pentra bark. Since the borers are damaging the tree why not try to sell the client on liquid fertilizing the tree to save the tree and you would have to do this spray every 90 days -- at least here in the south -- and fertilize the tree at least one time per year and hit them with slow release high nitrogen fertilizer. Yeah I know I will be crucified for not doing a soil test but the trees are under stress and you gotta make them happy and healthy and make your pocketbook happy when the client pays you ! This is a major and I mean MAJOR part of my phc business is when I can always look forward to those calls and emails when the clients renew there programs. This year I am right at about 90% of my phc sales for last year from all of the renewals I sent out.

5. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

Commonly referred to by old timers as a trunk wash.

I usually trunk wash all trees I spray just out of habit.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

Wow. The cost of Safari is ludicrous.

Based on the heavy application rate (which is all that EVER seems to work with insecticides around here), a friggin' 3" diameter tree would still require $12 of chemical each!! And that's not counting PentraBark!

For a 12-14 week application, that's absolutely ridiculous. I'm going to have to turn in a bid with a $500 minimum to cover my arse.

7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Well we use a ton of it with great sucess with only one application. It is considered a super systemic so it moves through the tree very rapidly. I operate out of Florida so I can only say for our region. There are 2 types of Safari WG and G both work well and equally fast by them self. I can go on but don't write huge write ups on here anymore read up it's well worth the money.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

I don't doubt its efficacy one bit. I read a bunch and it seems like an awesome product. I just know with 90% accuracy there's no way on God's green earth I'm gonna get this guy to shell out that much dough for all his trees...

And I'm sure not going to buy a $400 product unless I've got the business lined up to cover my expenses and profits and utilize most/all the material.

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Hey whoopass why not use Onyx which is basically the same stuff as Safari but a third of the cost. You dont need Pentra Bark Onyx has the material that will penetrate the bark of a tree.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

I'll contact my vendors tomorrow and see if they carry it. Thanks for the tip.

Wait. I just looked at a label. Bifenthrin product? I have bifenthrin out the wazoo. I need a systemic.