Safe for pets

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by valley boy, Apr 28, 2006.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

Customer wants a weed killer safe for pets !!!!. Any weed killer safe or should a weed and feed be used and if so is this pet safe.????

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

use a liquid with a good sticker and have her keep the pets off till its dry.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There is no "safe" pesticide. i read about a guy who died from inhaling milky spore powder. he apparently spilled some in an enclosed space and inhaled a mess of it. I don't ike using "organic herbicides" ecause they are basically acids. Get some 3 way in your eye and your eye is pink for a few days. Get some 15% vinegar in your eye and it is glass forever.
    Just ell the folks to keep the dogs and kiddies off of the lawn for 2-5 days. For best results, water the lawn throughly after a few days. This will give anything you sprayed time to work before it's washed off.

4. Seasons

Seasons LawnSite Member

There are non-selective organic weed killers out there. I use ecoclear and spot spray for around $45 for a 4000sq.st. lawn.

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

"Safe" is a relative word. Is it safe to walk your dog?. Many dogs have been killed while being walked by their owners. Round-up is over four times as toxic to rats as asprin. Ask your customer to define "safe".

6. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the word "Safe" being improperly used. When that word was brought up with the government their response was "getting out of bed is not safe as you could slip and fall, but staying in bed would not be safe as you could get bed sores"

We have been using ingredients for weed killers that are exempted from federal registrations and fall under the category of GRAS (generally recognized as safe) In addition we only use ingredients that are used in animal feeds.

To me it's as good as it gets.

Visit our links and see if any of this addresses your customers needs.

7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I correct myself, I meant to say aspirin is four times as toxic as Round-up.