safe lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ACA L&L, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever have a customer request that you use this product? Safe lawn is applied 50 pounds per 2500 sq ft. Twice a year as a pre emergent. It contains 9% nitrogen slow release. Its corn meal gluten. I have never used it just wondering if anyone else does.
  2. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

corn gluten sucks.
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You will find a lot of info on CGM in the organic fert forum. Different studies have come up with some very different conclusions as to it's effectiveness. While how effective it is may be up for debate, there is no doubt it does not work anywhere near as well as manufactured pre-M's are.
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my opinion. I tell my customers I use the products I use for there safety and effectiveness. If you want me to use a product you choose I charge 1.5 times my normal rate and will not guarantee the results. I am the professional, not the customer.
    And to CGM, as Whitey says, you will get widely varying results.
  5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cut it tall and keep it thick. Advise overseeding with better quality grass. A tight knitting sod-type bluegrass, for instance. Just be ready to follow up with hand weeding--cut the crab off at the soil line with a sharp knife. Remember to charge for your time--about a dollar a minute is fair. may have to follow up with a remarkably safe product like Drive, (quinclorac). Safer than Weed-B-Gone. Or Ortho's new product Weed-B-Gone Max which contains Weed-B-Gone plus quinclorac, kills weeds and crabgrass. And it must be safe if you can buy it at Walmart.
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The first part is excellent advice!!:)
    The last part is poor advice. :nono: Hope you're kidding.
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We use it every year!................on one lawn only:laugh: He's a 75 year old retired guy that sells it out of his home, but he is a 5 app customer. He stops by our office every spring to prepay, and he drops off a bag so we can use it on his lawn. Nice guy, and when I'm his age, it's no telling what I will try on my yard.:cry:

The product was developed by my State's "land grant university"years ago, and they keep including it in test trials every year. It works nearly as well as more popular products, but you have to apply 'a whole lot of it' to get the same results. So it is cost prohibited. But I appreciate the research being done.
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Im hoping that is sarcasim:)
  10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We do use SafeLawn CGM. It's probably the most popular brand of CGM out there at the moment. Apply in early spring and late summer at 20-25lbs per thousand. It takes about 3 years to build up the natural enzyme in the soil to kill 80% of seed germination. Make sure you mow high and try not to scalp edges, as this material is not a nearly as tolerant as it's chemical counterpart.