Safe-T-Lawn

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Some Sprinkler Guy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

::wipes away a tear::

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Army green!

Says they are old new-old; wouldn't they be old-new?

4. Wet_Boots

New old stock - that green color made for heads that really disappeared after installation - first ever side-entry hi-pop body

!Bt68IygBWk~$(KGrHqMOKj0Evn9,iu19BL-FjwzcQw~~_12.JPG

!Bt68Ky!EGk~$%28KGrHqMOKjMEvNg7S!9+BL-Fj6Qor!~~_12.JPG

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

So these were the shnizz back then?

I like the screw-down top, especially. Seems like all the safe-t-lawn stuff I see in the ground is 2" pop-ups. These would be a welcomed sight.

6. Wet_Boots

All the popups were kind of primitive back when. Matched precipitation wasn't on the radar. Lawns never suffered from heads popping up only 2 inches. Safe-T-Lawn heads were all held together by stainless steel screws, even the rotors.

7. Took champion brass nozzles as well. Those tops spurted water from the bottom after a few years. Also got a lot of blow by water around the stem. Gawd forbid they used the side inlet and you needed to change the pattern or adjust it.

Bottom line it was a cr-p head. The 4.5" Hydro-rain kicked that piece of sh1t all over the yard.

8. Wet_Boots

Ratcheting heads didn't show up until the mid-1980's. I have some old 1800 bodies with no ratchet. The STL spray bodies used the same sort of thin, flat, rubber gasket that the original Toro 570 spray head body used. Put enough years on it, and the rubber would slightly wear away from where the piston was sliding, and excess blow-by would begin, which was much more of a problem for the 570s than for the STL heads, since STL heads used a wider-diameter popup piston, which is better for overcoming blow-by.

Never had a callback on STL spray bodies.

9. Maybe its cuz you're too cheap to have a phone. STL meant lowballer trash system in my book. Rarely saw a STL install that wasn't a total joke.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. Wet_Boots

I expect the gasket material might wear out sooner in brighter sunlight. It would be systems of Toro 570s that would cease to function because of flow-by. Homeowners would have a hard time believing a recommendation to replace all the heads.

I never saw any Hydro-Rain spray bodies. What nozzle threads did they use?