1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

safe to cut new sod?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cutnchukcanuk, Jun 7, 2008.

1. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

I laid new sod in our backyard approx. 3 wks ago. I spread 4-5" of topsoil before the sod and am now afraid to walk on it to cut it fearing indentations. I weigh 293 so I was thinking of sending the wife out to cut it in snowshoes haha......no really. Any suggestions as the grass is gettin' looong. Thanks
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of sod is it? If it is fescue, cut it at 4 inches for your first cut. Did you roll the sod after it was laid? If so you should be just fine.Take some pictures of your lawn and post them on here and I will be able to help you much more.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

was the topsoil packed down at all or was it just spread out and left fluffy? if that's the case, you may have troubles. The base really needs to be somewhat solid and the sirface just scratched up before laying sod. Hopefully the roots have taken hold and are binding things together. With the watering things should have settled and solidified some. Make sure to cut back on the watering, let it dry pretty good before mowing it if it's that soft/muddy.

Around here I'll mow sod 2 weeks after installation. (in the warm time of the year) If not it will get out of control and be very tough to get knocked down!
  4. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Laying the sod was a last minute choice. I am in Winnipeg, Canada and did not realize sod was available until I stopped by to pick up soil. I hurried home with my new sod and started on it immediately. I made a few errors I am sure as it was my first time. Like a dummy being unprepared I laid half of the sod and then remembered that it needed to be rolled, which was difficult to do without stepping on the new sod.:hammerhead: I did roll it after it was laid. I only did 40'x15' section of the yard so my son had room for the trampoline and play area. Will do the other half next year. Couldn't tell you what type of sod, but I do think a fescue mix is popular for our weather and Manitoba gumbo. Again I was concerned because I put down alot of soil. We had about 3" of rain on friday and the sod is 6 to 8" long. Hopefully it dries today so I can giver a cut tomorrow. Thanks again!

Note: What is it about this place. I haven't been on in a while and now have this urge to go buy something with a motor. Maybe I will run the old mower over with the truck. Maybe it just me....

......no didn't think so.