safe to hook here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 1, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I can't seem to find a way to tie down my Z that satisfies me. There is an extra hole on each side of the deck where the chains for the deck lift are.

Would it hurt to use those holes as a point to hook to with ratchet straps?

I've been tempted but afraid to hook up there.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I already forgot what "Z" brand you have. Since you have been hesitant to brag about it on here. ;)

Generally you DONT want to strap the deck, as it is usually only supported by chains and deck struts. This will wear out things quicker.

I simply use three 6' long 2x4's.

One in front of the casters and the other two cradling the rear drive tires. It simply FALLS into position when you drive over them. Then I just put a heavy ratchet strap across the foot plate. From trailer side across foot plate to the other trailer side. Ratchet down and I'm set. Its pulled down TIGHT and cant move forward or back due to the 2x4's.

Other people I see don't even tie stuff down, so I'm much safer than most.

Good Luck!

How's about a picture of than new beast?

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

On my bosses trailer to tie down his Lescobelt drive he diled a hole in the left caster arm and on one of the angle iorn bars on his trailer and he just hooks up a chain. Not really needed if you leave the belt drive in gearwhile transporting but just in case.