Safeco Business Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched my business liability policy to Safeco a few years ago. BIG MISTAKE. I had 1 claim in three years, a large broken window. This piece of crap company had no problem taking my $50.00 dollers every month but decided to cancel my policy this year citing "unacceptable loss activity"

My payments were always on time and this just blows my mind. Was I supposed to pay for the damage myself?? What is the point of having a policy for then?

anyone know of a good company I can do business with?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I use American Family. Im a solo company and i pay about 450 a year for a million dollar policy.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

YIKES! I HAVE SAFECO!

GEO :help:

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't know if you have ERIE Insurance in your area, but from any insurance agent that I talk to around here, (and I've talked to many), Erie has the best commercial policy rates. We use them for our trucks and our business insurance. We, well rather Matt, broke a passenger car window one time... turned it in to Erie with no questions asked, and we didn't have to pay a dime with no bad consequences down the road. Give Erie a call if you can.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks all. I'll have to check out ERIE & American Family

I will have to check around next week. Does having this company not re-new my policy hurt me in any way?

Look out GEO, you may be next ;)

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto that. I was thinking about changing next year anywho, this helps me along.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Further research shows that my post to you Gene was not helpful at all. Erie only insures in these states:
    District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia....
    Sorry bout that.

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

gene, not sure if commercial insurance works the same way, but with homeowner's, when you get dropped you go into a nice national database where your odds of getting insured are low (3 years in the blacklist database i believe), and thus must turn to a high premium company or state insurance.

you all might want to be aware that most insurance companies have automatic drop policies, especially with homeowners insurance. typically, it's 2 claims with homeowners, regardless of amount. this is the reason you should never look at insurance as warranty, only as tragic loss coverage. the days of filing a claim for less than a couple of grand are basically over. one of my buddies is also my insurance broker and they actually pay small claims out of their own pockets so that they don't lose their customers when the policy writer eventually drops them. as far as commercial policies go, i know that it's tough to regain insurance if you let it lapse.

and a not on homeowner's insurance, it is wise to raise your deductables as high as your insurance or mortgage holder will allow you.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

How much was the broken window? My policy has always been to pay it if it's not to excessive. I'd rather eat that then take the insurance hit. I kinda view insurance as something for major catastrophies that might occur.

That still stinks about the drop thingy. I was just thinking about them today and getting more quotes.

:D

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto what Jodi said.