1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

safer weed control???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greg6775, Sep 4, 2004.

1. greg6775

greg6775 LawnSite Member
    from ky

what do you all think is the safer weed control to use right now?

2. Safer for what?

Safer for the grass?

Safer for the applicator?

Safer for the environment?

3. greg6775

greg6775 LawnSite Member
    from ky

Safer for the applicator

4. Well, you can look at the MSDS's and find out specific info on toxicity, carcinogenicity and exposure limits.

Or you can get a general idea by looking at the signal words on the label.

Danger is the highest level of risk.

Warning is the middle, and

Caution is the lowest.

SpeedZone, Drive 75, Dimension, RoundUp Pro all have the "Caution" signal word.

Now that does not mean that the product is "safe", just less dangerous.

By the way, all of this info should be common knowledge to anyone with credentials to apply pesticide...

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking the same thing Mr. B.

The acute oral LD50 for most 2,4-D products is nearly the same as most other herbicides. So why the Danger label vs Caution on their counterparts?

Corosive action to the eyes.

But not more toxic via oral or dermal absorption. Weird.

6. You are absolutely correct.

Reactions to exposure can vary greatly depending on what part of your body was exposed, and the mode of exposure (inhalation, contact, ingestion).

The signal words are a general guideline only.

One other thing for greg6775, the fine folks at your local Lesco store can provide you with the MSDS's for the products they sell and make a recommendation for you.

7. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

Why dont you give me a call 859-493-5296 Rick, im in Northern Kentucky
    i think we need to talk bro
    i can help you out some.

8. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

EcoExemptHC is as close to safe as one could get from a herbicide. It is not systemic, and provides wiltdown of existing weeds only. The active is clove oil.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yikes! That EcoExempt requires 19.2 - 25.6 oz per gallon. I found some on a website where the merchant wants $97.00/gallon for the concentrate. Let's see, that works out to $14.55 per finished gallon at the low rate.

I doubt the Clove oil hasn't got anything to do with the burndown. Rather the 2-Phenethyl Propionate burns down. My guess is the clove oil is there for marketting purposes & to mask the odor, though it might have surfactant properties. I'm not sure. More research is in order.

I should think that if a bio-pesticide is desired, Scythe woulkd be much more cost effective. Both have the same LD50, but Scythe requires 75% less concentrate to do the same job. It is still non-selective though.

The person that discoveres a truly selective broadleaf bio-herbicide will be a very wealthy person indeed.

GroundKprs likes this.
  10. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

Univar sells EoExemptHC for 56.00/ga. That should bring the the price down a bit.
    Anytime you make a choice to use one material over another you are accepting the the negative as well as the positive attributes of that material. In this case the concern was applicator safety. Now if you are looking for a low-tox highly selective reasonably priced herbicide, there must be a better choice than EcoExemptHC.