Safety Briefing for new Employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Jul 28, 2006.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody have a dedicated set of safety points or program that they go over with new employees?

Up untill now, I have had experienced workers and have just had them watch a safety video from Bobcat on mowing. I go over the owners manuals for the 2-cycle stuff and give them some pointers. I'm looking for something a little more detailed to assist the new employees, not to mention keeping them from getting hurt.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

A little help, here????

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The sad fact is you probably already do more in the area of training than most. I have worked for a few big companies prior to starting my own and the most safety training that was had was at weekly tailgate meetings, done for insurance reasons. Some insurance companies have outlines for you to follow with a list of topics for tailgate meetings. Line trimmer safety, ladder safety, hedge trimmer safety, you spend about 5-7 minutes in the morning go over proper operation and safety then have everyone sign the sheet saying they were present for the training. Gives you better workmans comp rates too. You might also check with your local association or reach out to a large company in your area, but its fairly easy to come up with.

I do about 1-1.5 hour training for new employees in the trailer on site that covers safety, proper equipment use, and daily maintenance etc. I also emphasize putting equipment back in its place securing it etc. That has been a real positive for the company. Nobody wants to do a bad job so the new employees are always grateful for the training to help them do a better job. You also get to know pretty quickly if the new employee is one that can follow directions. Unfortunately all I had is a brief outline that I made up a couple of years ago and I can't find it now. You would probably be better off developing your own, specific to your operation.

Glad to hear you are raising the bar so to speak in the industry, we need more like you.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I find it easier to just baby sit them for a couple of weeks. I go over the major things before they even touch any peice of equipment, but I think its more benificial for them to learn in the field more so than just watching different video's. Even then things still happen:hammerhead: I am loosing one of my guy's next week to school and related things, he is still in high school but he knows how to run everything and this year he was finally to the point where he could go out on his own and I would have no worry's. I just hired a guy to take his place but it's back to square one with trainning.
  5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't done much in the past. However, next year I am implementing a 3-day training program before the season starts for all employees. It will cover safety, equipment/truck/trailer operation, how to handle on-site complaints, maintenance, and general guidelines. I've already been working on the power point for a month :usflag: