Safety Chutes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racerdave, Jul 18, 2001.

?

Do you leave your sfety chutes intact on your mowers?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2001.
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

The other day as I was driving home I came across an LCO cutting grass in the ditch along side the road. As I was approaching I notice tons of debris flying in the across the road. You know, the usual rocks, beer cans, sticks, and the occasional grass blade. I had to stop until he changed direction so as to not end up in his little shower.
    This has me wondering how many of us remove those chutes from our mowers.

2. I see the same thing here just about everyday. The majority of the LCO's here will blow grass and whatever else out in the road and into traffic and don't seem to care. I use the OCDC on my Dixie whenever I am mowing along the street/road to keep grass from blowing in the street/road, and if I'm mowing close to the street and I see cars approaching I will close the OCDC if the discharge is aimed at the street just in case there might be some hidden treasure in the grass that I missed on my walkover before I start mowing. Most of these guys here remove the discharge chutes right after they get the mowers on their truck or trailer.

3. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I keep mine up, but NEVER discharge towards the street. Went and looked at a yard yesterday (on the corner of the main road of a new subdivision,
    that has a bank around it next to the road, and was wondering the best way to cut it. Will need to get an OCDC.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have YSM's OCDC on my Lazer and I flip it up on my SCAG. So yes, I did remove the one on the Lazer but replaced it with the Director. I dont know any mower that discharges well with them down. They all clump up and put the grass in a windrow.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I fail to understand why anyone would remove the discharge chutes from their mowers unless it was to attach something else and the chute is in the way. In my area literally everyone removes the chutes, covers and disconnects all of the safetys. Everything is working on my mowers except for the seat safety on the Dixie and I'm working on wiring up a blade/seat safety for the mower. The only reason it is disconnected now is because you can't get up off the seat at anytime (blades turning or not) without the mower shutting off and I don't want to sit on the mower for 5 minutes waiting for it to cool before shutting it off.

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I make sure all my safty features esecially the shut offs are working, I would hate to wake up after hitting another tree branch and relize I have just ruined a house/car lost the mower or made a stripe for a block or two. or cant jump off when break lock slips and I'm spinning in circles.

The Chute is the only thing not attached. the reason being is the grass catcher cage hooks on to a bracket that is connected where the chute used to be attached. and is a pain to switch each time you bag or not bag. Every setup for bagging seems to be the same setup if there are others please let me know. It also let the grass shoot out nicer and no clumps or lines of grass.

7. script

script LawnSite Member

Mine is off, but only because I mulch everything.

8. all of my chutes still lok like they are brand new

we take them off to help with grass dispertion

we do not point that side to roads and let debris fly

if we left them on the would shoot the grass clipping down i n the grass, not out

I have see guys pu a mesh or expanded metal inbetween the chute and discharge opening and flip them down when passing bed to keep from blowing clippings in to them

but there's the story and why
    I know they where put on for a purpose but it doesn't help

as far as the OPS those all stay on and work execpt for my 36"

that like trimming without safty glasses

LGF:blob3:

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a OCDC for my lazer

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

dah! what is a ocdc I have been looking for something to put over the discharge on my toros that has holes in it to let some grass disperse but stop any rocks or mulch chunks that could take out a window or damage a car. Anyone ever seen such a thing? I have a mulch kit for my 36" toro but we only use that in the fall to mulch leaves. It mulches well but the quality of the cut goes away in high spring grass. I like my lawns to look like green carpet!! It looks like the choppers have something that can be closed ove the discharge chute from the operator position. If so how effective is it. I may consider one of those monstors for my first ztr even though they are UGLY!!!!