Safety first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jun 11, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So I pulled up to mow a customer today, and as I was unloading the fellow comes out to talk to me. He was telling me about another crew who was in the neighborhood the day before, from a rather large company here in town. One of the guys on the crew was weedwacking, without safety glasses, and had something thrown into his eyes. The customer was telling me the dude was screaming and running around with his hand over one of his eyes, blood pouring outta it. Had to call an ambulance, the whole shebang. My customer wanted to check with me to make sure I was wearing safety equipment.

I always wear safety glasses, and hearing protectors. I see crews with guys weed wacking with no eye protection, and it drives me nuts. My glasses at the end of the year have marks all over them from stuff hitting them, instead of my eyes. Same thing with hearing protectors. My equipment is loud, at the end of the day I wouldn't be able to hear without the protection. I don't get it how some people can go without. Yeah, wearing that stuff gets hot sometimes, but I'd rather be hot with eyesight and hearing than hot, deaf and blind.

And that's a lesson to the new guys as well. Get safety equipment! And make sure the glasses are shatter resistant.

:D

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, i never used to use hearing protection or eye protection since i have a pretty light load. last year i took a rock or something in teh eye while weed wacking. my eye was red for a couple days, needless to say i wear safety sun glasses now. Next came the hearing protection, i took it one step farther and bought a little $5 fm radio @ a pharmacy and gutted the earphones. i put the speakers inside my hearing protectors, now i sign along to the radio all day :)

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Huh, what did you say? :p

My safety glasses are all ding and scratched up already. I just can't imagine not wearing safety glasses while trimming, I know right away when I forget to put them on, just feels kinda strange without them.

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Its amazing how little people care about there personal safety.In my little area I would say 50% or more dont use eye and ear protection at all.I need to get a picture of one guy who weedeats with no glasses at all!!!!!!The bad thing is he alreday has a patch over one eye. I will never understand:confused: I carry a small bag in my truck under my seat of diff items.The sad thing is this stuff is cheap to buy..:dizzy:

5. mtdman

Next question is, who keeps a first aid kit? I have a tupperware box full of bandages and meds I have cobbled together that I keep under my seat. Mostly, I hope not to use it, but one time my old partner burned his hand bad and it came in handy.

:D

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I ALWAYS wear hearing protection. I don't wear eye protection because the hearing protection won't fit snugly and that has no point. Can any of you tell me how to wear the safety glasses with peltors on?

:confused:

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Why not just use the ear plugs and a pair of safety glasses? I find that plugs give a LOT better hearing protection that the muffs. Put the two together and you can barely hear anything :)

8. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

first aid kit,clean towels,bottles peroxide-rubbing alcohol,bandages,duct tape,elec tape also.(you never know) :blush:

9. mtdman

I use both plugs and protectors when I'm doing leaves. During the season blowing just gets protectors.

I have a pair of protective sunglasses I use, Stihl brand I think. They fit on nicely with the hearing protectors, also Stihl brand, no problem.

My wife makes fun of me because I have a 'racoon' tan line around my eyes and two white ears because I wear the glasses and ear protectors all the time. :D

10. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

lawncare3

If I was going to lose one,I would rather lose my hearing than eyesight any day. How you going to mow without seeing? Earplugs and safety glasses is the way to go.