Safety Glasses not sun glasses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hortboy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

well in NY we're getting ready for the spring if it will ever get here. My question is: I'd like to provide my employees w/ safety glasses that will double as sun glasses. Keep in mind they need to be cost effective and yet comfortable and stylish enough for them to wear and not decorate the dash board w/. What do you guys suggest? Brands/styles? And where to get them?

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a pair of nice looking sunglasses/safetyglasses from Lowe's. I think there were in the $15 - $20 range. Real nice.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a catalogue from Direct Safety. We get smoke grey & clear and put one pair of each per truck. I believe we get elvex or similar and their "stylish" and cost effective at under $5/pair. They are a wrap around style, but this company has lots to choose from. We also have their Howard Leight plug depot & laser light ear plugs.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

My foreman got a case of them @ Sam's, I think they were like $6 each, look kinda like Oakleys

5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Got mine at home depot. they look like oakleys but are osha approved. 14 bucks.

6. Check your local welding supply house , they should have some.

7. david

david LawnSite Member

I get most of my safety equipment from Direct Safety. Great selection and prices. directsafety.com

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

My local dealer throws me some free Echo safety sun glasses every time I buy something... they retail for $15-20 I think.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I wear prescription specs, it sux... I can't wear sunglasses or safety glasses unless I don't mind getting a headache from everything being slightly fuzzy. Anyone else with this affliction? have you found any good "over the top of glasses type safety glasses"? I think sunglasses are a good idea, saves the eyes for later in life, and saftey type are nice when trimming and such.

10. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

decided to try something new this year and picked up a couple pair of these at Home Depot for like $20 apiece. It was also part of x-mas present to the guys...

I was hoping if I got a little *higher* end glasses they might be a little more careful with them...

I got the grey lens with grey frames instead though (can't find a picture)...

[​IMG]

made by MSA safety works (sports series) I believe. They have a good fit on your head or on your cap or hat if you need to take them off and put them somewhere.

So far I'm into using them 3 months now and I like them so far. I'm really good about keeping a pair for almost a whole year usually so we'll see how it goes come summer time.