1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Safety Glasses?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

My friend Rod was breaking out concrete this last week with a jack hammer. Wearing hard hat, ear plugs and safety glasses. A piece of concrete somehow flew behind his glasses, cut his eye and he most likely will lose his eye or at least his sight. I want to up date..........best safety glasses around?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently in that situation, some that have an elastic band. Like the ones used in Science labs.
  3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he can recover from it. I don't know what's the best. I use AO Safety sunglasses when I need them. For that kind of work you almost need something with an elastic strap to go around your head so there's no gap, kind of like goggles. A faceshield might be the best for jobs similar to that, but sometimes accidents happen that are out of your hands. Best of luck to him.
  4. Boondox

Boondox LawnSite Member

I might be the oddball here, but I've found shooters' glasses work very well. They're lightweight, fit my face perfectly and are designed tight enough that unburned cordite doesn't hit your eyes.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The only glasses that stop everything is goggles or if the glasses had side sheilds. I never buy the cheapy model safety glasses a good pair of safety glasses here is going to cost me 20 dollars minimum. The last pair I bought were close to 30 dollars. I also have a helmet with a screen and hearing protection on it (fallers helmet).

You have to do your best to protect your eyes and ears I got that drilled into me at a early age. It only takes one accident to wipe out your eyes :eek:
  6. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

The best all around safety glasses bar none are UVEX XC http://www.uvex.us/products/products2.asp?id=36 There are better safety goggles, and better impact resistant glasses but for all around coverage I have found these to be great. They are really form fitting aound the cheek area to prevent these kind of accidents. With no lower frame they also provide excellent viisbilty.
  7. Gravel Rat

Thats all I will buy is Uvex brand safety glasses I started buying them in highschool when I was in industrial ed then I got the teacher the safety supply catalog and the whole class ordered.

I also get Stihl safety glasses from the saw shop they are rebaged Uvex glasses.
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys.....this one has really hit close to home.
  9. Gravel Rat

My uncle who is a foreman at a mine was helping the guys out repairing a conveyor roller. One of the guys was hitting I assume was cast steel a chunk flew off got my uncle right in the eye just below the puple. The first aid attendants got to him quickly I know one of the attendants they said it was gruesome. After that accident it brought home the fact must wear safety glasses all the time. My uncle can see out of that eye the doctors said he was lucky if it was in any other spot would have lost the eye. The accident happened 15 years ago.

The rules now soon as the guys leave the lunch room the safety glasses go on along with the hard hat.
  10. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I agree with the above...was going to say tight, wrap-around style, unless you go with goggles. There are pretty cool looking sunglass/goggles that you can get from army surplus stores that are expensive but very good quality and great looking. I threw a 1/2 in washer into my forehead this season. If it hit my eye, i'd have lost it. I wear whatever safety glasses I can find now...don't care how dorky I look. That and ear muffs. Best wishes to your buddy. -Ben