1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Safety Issues for Stick Edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutInEdge Lawn Care, Jun 15, 2006.

1. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just milling around reading post when a thought came to me. How many LCO's replace the cotter pin when changing edger blades? I personally take them out and do not replace them. I am curious to see what others do??
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Cotter pin? My fc100 has no cotter pin.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have never changed ours. I look at it every time to make sure there are no cracks in the pin.
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My edgers have a 3/4" nut.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

my older Echo is supposed to have a pin too. I used to replace it when i first got it, but really, what the heck does it do? the nut is already counter rotating, it loostens the opposite direction the blade spins, and 2, even IF it did come loose, it's only going to get loose enough for the blade to stop turning and the shaft would just spin.

I think it was put there by some paranoid nut that thinks that a mower blade bolt can come loose and the blade will come flying out and kill someone...
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well we run Echo and Stihl edgers and after the first blade change I do not put the cotter pin back in. For those that dont know where they go, it's a little hole drilled at the end of the threads. I am more addressing this to the big guys that are accomodating all safety and data issues.
  7. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

dont have the cotter pin just the nut ( there is no hole for a cotter pin)