Safety Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Maintenance Man, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man LawnSite Member

I and another operator were talking about electrical shock from hitting a power line over/under ground and what you should do. We both agree to jump from the machine with both feet at the same time(don't step from the machine). This is where we differ. He says from there you shuffle your feet because you get shocked from lifting your feet off the ground(taking a step), and I have been in many classes that say to shuffel your feet because of the different power levels as you move away from the machine(like circles in the water from a splash). He says he has never heard of this before so I wanted to find some information on this and can't find any info or pictures. Can any one help find info on this???:cry:

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If you hit a power line above or below ground, and you are still alive and not being fried......sit still and don't move! Don't touch a thing, sit still and make the phone call to the utilities to shut the line down. That kind of power can jump/arc 3',4',5' through the air to find you. As far as shuffling or jumping from the machine, you are gonna have to ask someone else.......if I am still alive, I am sitting still. If you want answers from the source, call your local power department and talk with management - they will give you some solid info.

3. Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man LawnSite Member

Sitting still is ok unless machine starts on fire -- ouch hot hot hot

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Jumping from the machine is a bad, bad move. You're safe on the machine, regardless of size as long as you sit still. As soon as you try to remove yourself, it'll arc through the machine to you. I've hit 2 legs of 220 and 2 legs of 110 in a 7,000 pound mini and I'm here to tell the tale. Not a serious hit, but I kept on the machine.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i would sit even if the machines on fire....better then answering to my boss at the end of the day

6. RockSet N' Grade

Oh yea, the reason you can't find any guys doing the "shuffle" from a machine is because when they did that, there weren't any pieces big enough to take a picture of........they were vaporized!

7. ASCHAL45

ASCHAL45 LawnSite Member

When I was working for a the power company they tell you if you have too. Completly jump off the machine with out touching it at all while in the air. When you get off the machine they said to bunny hope but make sure both feet leave and hit the ground at the same time but they said this was just there theory most ppl are to startled to set there and think about doing this but that is what they tought us to do.

Adam

8. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

What does it matter? With steal tracks, you will be dead before you can even think about it.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Not true at all. The electricity will exit the machine through the tracks and blow a hole in the pads. I know an electrician that saw it happen. Blew a basketball sized hole in a pad and blew the teeth off the bucket on a 120. He said the operator was fine.

10. RockSet N' Grade

Concrete truck hit a power line down the road at a sub-division pour. He was fine until he tried to get out......opened the door, tried to step out and got fried. From what I gathered from the chaps that were there, if he just sat and waited inside the cab and touched nothing he would have made it. Glad I wasn't there, this was just last year and everyone is still talking about it. I am interested to hear from any experts who may be reading what the "proper procedure" for survival is. I think about that stuff all the time when digging anywhere near any type of utility....