safety safety safety

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Aug 30, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I was out mowing and on my 2nd lawn I got stung by a horse fly while mowing. I was in such a hurry to finish that lawn I forgot to put on my safety glasses for trimming. Bottom line I got a rock in the eye. The eye lid was shut but the impact made it such that everything in the one eye looked Smokey and it just got worse until I could barley see my knee out of my left eye. I went to the eye doctor and they said to leave my eyes shut the whole day. My eye is just about as good as my other one now. The doctor said I was within 2mm of losing vision in that eye. Hopefully after reading this everyone else will always have them not 99% of the time but 100%.

2. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

You were very lucky. I see so many guys out there trimming without safety glasses. I just don't get it. I would be scared to death no matter "how careful" I think I could be in not using them.

I also don't understand guys using backpack blowers without hearing protection. That noise is so bad for your ears. Why not protect them.

We only have one set of ears and eyes so we gotta protect them the best we can.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi stevesmowing,

Sorry about that happening but I am glad you will be ok.

It's kinda like seatbelts. Don't wear them just sometimes, wear them always.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wear my safety glasses when trimming or edgeing. I don't want to go blind!