Safety switch not working on Lesco 48 hydro mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grandview (2006), May 7, 2014.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Not good. If the blades are engaged and I let go of the handles they keep running. Same with it in gear ,let go and it keeps going.Had to chase it once already. Help.

2. grandview (2006)

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I like my mowers that way, not so much in gear thou.

Have you tried replacing the switch?

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The only thing I would suggest, like herler said, replace the switches.....More then likely, it's the ones on the handles that have gone bad. If I remember correctly, they have to be pushed in to keep the machine running....

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Did they work and then stopped?

6. grandview (2006)

Both gone bad?
    Don't know bought it used with 200 hrs on it.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Look for something jumping the wires together coming from one of the switches or something jamming into the switches by the handles. Basically the switch down by the transmission on the left and the one on the transmission make a contact while in neutral and the blades off. Once one of these is broke it goes through the switches on the handle to make contact. If they're all open motor shuts off if one is closed on the handles then it stays running. Both have to be closed on the transmission and blade side if one of the handles is not closing the circuit. Either one of the handles is jumped or both the transmission and blades are jumped or the whole thing is rewired to the key switch.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If I remember correctly, you can run the machine with one hand. Which means that the switches are interconnected in some way, so even if one failed, the other side would still work.

Since you got it used, have you check to see if the safeties have been jumped or rigged in any way ?