safety

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, Nov 7, 2001.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys wondering how many of u take road side saftey into consideration? how many of u guys use cones when at a jobsite? how many of them? what size? any of u use those signs that say landscapers at work or anything? any of u wear orange vests? how about oranage strobes or hazards on the trucks? where do u guys purchase ur saftey equip at?

2. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Scottie,
    I use cones when parking on the side of the road. I've got three of them. One I place about 20 feet behind my trailer(if I can), and the other two closer to the gate. I should probably do more. Thanks for making me think of it.
    Bill!

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I use a series of cones that are placed three paces behind the gate, back bumper, front bumper, three paces in front of truck. I have strobe lights mounted to the feneders of the trailers as well.

I have only seen one other company with a one-tone dumpbed that has a strobe attached to the side of the bed at the top for safety. A couple other LCOs use cones but noone else Ive seen uses the warning lights.

As a volunteer FF I place my order thru our dept when they order their supplies as I need something.

Kris

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i have that option also as a volunteer. do u guys use full size cones with the reflective tape?

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have an older set that I gave a couple bucks to the Dept for with the tape, but I only use them this time of year when its dark at noon -LOL!!!

I think that the full sized orange cones are just as effective during the rest of the season. I would not recommend the smaller cones and think the 3' ers are overkill.

Kris

6. On most of the residential streets I work on, traffic is slow. So no need to wear,put cones or use my amber lights. However, in one paticular area I use all three due to poor visibilty. (heavy fog) Does it slow down people? Naw! At least if any of us get hit, can't say I wasn't following CA O.S.H.A and state transportation codes.

As to where I get my stuff, strobe light @ local highway saftey store. Cones, picked them up at the dumps, put on reflective tape. I use both a hooded safety orage sweat shirt or reflective vest during warmer weather.

John

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use three cones behind the trailer, and if im on a really busy street, i will put the strobes on. i think its a good idea to use cones. just another precaution.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

3 Full size cones are used here. They ride right in the very back of the trailer, on the driver's side. When the gate comes down, they are the first things to come out. - the last thing to go on just before the gate closes. When I am just in a subdivision though, I don'y seperate them. I just put the stack out as one. This is placed right near the rear outside corner of the gate. The amount of distance out is always determined by the furthest point out of the truck.;)

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Scottie,

I use cones when ever I stop the truck to work.. Usually three out back , one at the front corner and one in the middle.. Sometimes 4 out back.. Never can be too safe.. People dont' seem to be too considerate of landscapers around here.. I think they try to hit us or scare us too.. LOL.. It seems they speed up when U put out the cones..

10. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

We use about 4 or 5 cones, with the orange flags in them. Also all of our vehicles now, including trailers have hidden strobes in front and rear tail lights. people here in NJ are crazy. I don't think they do much because highway workers get hit all the time on major roads, even when they have hunderds of cones and strobes lights..