1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

saftey first

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Uranus, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Some of those are ridiculous. Like the guy with the manure spreader, he left the tractor in gear, got out, and got drug under by a spinning tire? How could you be that dumb? The only one I have a little remorse for is the harvester one, although the guy should have known to never run the hot saw pointing at the cab. Probably one of those days where you're just not thinking about it, spun the head around the wrong way trying to make a tricky grab, and before you know it, it's too late.
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I've worked with a lot of major corporations, both directly and indirectly. Sometimes the site safety rules seem so stupid! After being a safety guy for several of the companies I worked for and getting training in safety, it all begins to make SOME sense. Safety is not an after thought, its the FIRST thought. Think it out, plan it out... what are the risks. One thing I've learned over the years... If you have to ask yourself "Should I or shouldn't I".. The answer is always.. NO I SHOULDN'T!
    Here's one for ya.. Skid steers. Most deaths caused by?? I answered rollovers. Wrong! #1.. crushed between chassis and loader arms. #2.. Backing over someone.. a distant #3 was rolling over.Most deaths were due to bypassing the safety devices, no seat belts worn, arm up, which resulted in the operator being pinned under the loader.
    Bottom line is THINK.. God gave ya 10 fingers and ten toes.. keep em all!
    And if anyone needs help in their safety program at work.. PM me.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

You know the first question out of most customers mouths is how can I bypass the seat belt switch. I tell them I could not tell them if I knew. Some customers want Deere to switch to pull down bar so they wont have to wear belt. Bar does not replace belt and I am sure Deere will continue to have switch in belt even if they were to switch.
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

One place I worked at we had an operator roll a T-300 Bobcat down a hill of mulch. Ended up on the cab, he kicked out the rear window and safely exited the machine. Good... all that happened is I had to pull the glow plugs and injectors, pump out the oil, replace the air filter. No biggie, because he had the arm down and wore his seat belt.
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Way back when, when I worked at a golf course we had unofficial saftey meetings every morining and an official meeting once a week. Valley Crest. Some of the dumbest topics but had to do them. A few years later when I was with a large (for my area) lanscape company, I looked back and thought this company could us a saftry program. Owner would drive skid steers, mini X, and a bobcat tool cat around and not even bind them down. Watched him drive his F9000 pulling a 22 ft tailer with mini x and skid. Made it about 2 miles before the 2 right side tires blew on trailer. He drove the nest 5 miles back to his shop showering the side of the road with sparks. Rims were totaly flatened out