Saftey Gaurds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bassngrasser13, Jul 21, 2001.

1. bassngrasser13

bassngrasser13 Guest

Is it safe to take off the safety gaurds on the weed wackers. I have a stihl fs 80 and a shindiawa that i took them both off. I did it to take out more string. Is this safe? It sure works better though
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

It's effective but don't let out too much string!
    It takes a toll on the engine if you do
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lot say do ,lot say dont. if i had employees i think they would use the guards for my protection. personally i wouldnt have a guard on one of my trimmers.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

# 1 should be your safety!! Keep yourself safe, and leave the deflector on, its there for a reason.

#2 Its not meant to have that much string out, you're going to burn up your equipment faster than intended and warranty will not cover it because its been "modified"

#3 OSHA and ANSI say its a no no to take guards and shields off of equipment

#4 Insurance claims will be laughed at because it will automatically fall on you for taking the shield off.
  5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

#1 reason to leave them on would be safety

#2 reason is mechanical. You'll go through a clutch in no time if the string is too long. Gotta keep it shorter without the guard.

I have two Stihl and have both guards off, already noticing clutch chatter on one thats about 1 year old.
  6. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

I use the EDGIT makes edging a breaze and a weekly thing. Customers love it and it is quicker than trimming with the gaurd. You do have to watch too much string doesnt come out.
    A little expensive but second season and has gotten me 3 new accounts. You have to have some type of edge in this business
  7. I used to take all the trimmer guards off 'till I bought a Stihl FS80. FINALLY! a piece of safety equipment that does what it's supposed to. It's long enough to let out sufficient string and keeps the crap out of my face. Some say they're faster with them off, but personally I'm faster if I can see what I'm doing. It even cuts the line off for you.
    If you want to cut better, try a smaller diameter line. .065 cuts like a razor in grass. Just get a good brand for that little stuff, or it'lll never last.
  8. Hello Everybody:

Guido & Southern Lawns is 100% Right!

I personally don't use a Guard & when in Business I had what I called my Personal Trimmer. But the Kinda Luck I have I would never let employee use trimmer without Guard. It is too Dangerous with a Guard as it is?

I even had a Deal with my Employees that they had to use safety glasses at all times using a Trimmer. I made it company policy that if they had no Safety Glasses that they could refuse to not work & I could not make them do anything else til I got them the Safety Glasses, so they could complete the job. Safety came First with the Employees.

It was like a game with the Guys we were all the time figuring ways they could get out of work if the Conditions were not 100% Safe.

I only had one Accident in 5 1/2 years on the Job & we learned from it? I had 2 guiys trimming & Edging a front lawn. LOL, somehow they turned & hit each other below the Knee with the trimmers (Echo 2501's & OUCH!). One guy Lost it Completely & Ran over half a block before we stopped him. All very light cuts, Butt he thought he was going to bleed to death. He calmed down after we Hosed off his leg.

From that day on, Shorts were not allowed at work any more. What can Happen, Will always Happen.

Guido being in the Military & Operating Heavy Equipment probably knows more about Safety than any of 3 of us put together on this Forum. Besides that as Safe as those Guys Work I bet he can still tell you some Horror Stories!