Sago Palmcut

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Denham Lawnboy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Denham Lawnboy

Denham Lawnboy LawnSite Member

A lady that I cut grass for asked me to dig up 3 sago palms for her today. I dont know how much to charge. The trees are medium to large in size. Thanks.

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

if you feel you and dig these up with no problems then i would charge your going rate for lawn services. also do you have to replant ? if so let her know that theirs no guarantee on the transplant. if you have to haul it a way make sure to charge for that as well..

3. Denham Lawnboy

Thanks. i do not have to haulm away so I will just charge the same for what i cut grass for (by the hour). THANKS

4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

YOu never mention how tall they are?
    Have you ever dug one up? If the trunk is 2-3 feet tall you will wish you charged alot more.
    Plus they are spiny and at the bottom and you will get poked if you dont wear heavy duty gloves.

5. Denham Lawnboy

Thanks for the tips. I got them out by just cutting the roots around it and just pulling them out with the truck. Wasn't hard and took a hour total.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

dude you could have sold those bad boys, they're high up here

7. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to suggest selling them too... very expensive palms down here. A 3 foot trunk can go for a few hundred dollars.

8. Denham Lawnboy

They were not quite that big and they wanted to keep them. But thanks for the suggestions.

9. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Man what a waste, those things cost a fortune down here.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh my nursery charges around 250 for a 10 gal... thats maybe 1 and a half to 2 foot tall