Sago Palms .....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SouthernYankee, Sep 11, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to bid on a complete clean up , redesign and install of an estate and they have a lot of Sago palms in a front bed, but they are randomly planted and dont look very good. I was thinking that it would be best to transplant of remove the sagos.

What is the rootball like on a sago palm and are they hard to dig out and replant?

2. palm boy

palm boy LawnSite Member

sagos are easy to dig up and replant. Older plants may take a while to reestablish (up to a year) before they really start growing well again. Here in Florida the asian scale has spread and sago's are not used in the landscape as they once were. Not sure if this has hit Texas yet but I imagine it has. The infected sagos look like it has just snowed on them. They can be treated but it is a pita b/c this scale is airborn and the process will have to be repeated over and over. If your sagos are infected I would recommend just tossing them. I used to grow these, but last year I went ahead and tossed over 100 15 gal plants on the burn pile. Just too much of a pita for us to hassle with, and demand for them is just not there anymore. However I was at a nursery in south Florida last week that had a beautifull selection of them and they say they are selling quite a few in that area.
    Good luck, hope this helps.

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with palm boy. Just wear a long sleeve shirt and heavy gloves. those spike are sharp.

4. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

....yea, we are rippin' up and tossing here in Central Florida as well. That scale is some masty stuff!

Dennis

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yankee

You may want to check on renting a Dyno Digger (power shovel). These are gasoline powered jack hammers with a shovel head. They cut the roots which are many around all Palms as well as Cy-cads. I do enough palms that I bought one for around $ 1400.

An other trick is a PONY Shovel. This is a very heavy solid handle straight shovel that is only used to cut roots on Palms. You use them like a post hole digger and only drive it into the ground as cutter. They sell in the $ 75.00 range and are well worth the investment if you remove palm trees.

Another Cheap trick if you don't own a tractor or other kind of lift is a mechanics Cherry picker or engine lift. You must manually move it from place the place, but once there you have 2 tons of raw lift for breaking trees out. I found this lift to be handy in places you can't get a tractor in to. They sell for around $ 250 and I would recommend you put big tires on it for ease of pulling it across turf etc. I liked the Cherry Picker so much that I welded on the front of an old triplex mower and drive it to the tree. No It doesn't have a large travel load but one heck of a lot of break out power. I also kept my regular cherry picker on large wheels for getting inside pool cages etc. It can fold down to fit in a regular size Screen door.

I afraid I am a Equipment freak. Now that I am retired I still have a lot of this type of good junk laying around. I guess I am lazy and alway looked for an easier way of doing things. Many of the junk I bought or build for special jobs paid for itself right away. Other junk I build was just that expensive junk. But I think I am ahead of the game as far as junk goes. I would like to see someone get use out of this equipment. Somehow no one else see the advantage in these gadgets and I can't seem to get any interest in buying them. I really got a lot of use out of the Cherry Picker on the the triplex mower. Any time I did a rip out it paid for itself. Just as fast as two guys could wrap a chain around every other shrub, I could pull the row out. It weights about the same as a mower and leaves no tracks.