SAHARA chemical...does this stuff work or what??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GarPA, Aug 7, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Last year I bought a container of Sahara from Lesco. I have an area that needs constant vegetation control and nothing will be planted there so the chemical residue in the soil is not an issue.

Twice now I have sprayed the weeds popping up and both times, almost no kill. I called Lesco and verified that I dont need to add a "sticker" to the product. He said I was not the first person to complain about Sahara. No rain occured within 12 hours of the applications.

Would appreciate any tips from those of you that have used this product. At this point I'm tempted to get out the Roundup and chuck the Sahara. And it wasn't inexpensive either.

Thanks

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use it on gravel lots and no problems for a year, haven't applied it in a few years now.

3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I sprayed an area about 10000 sq ft on Aug 4 of last year, Its still barren ground.

Annual rain fall will affect the length of control.

It also takes a good three or more weeks to completly burn down.

4. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Sahara worked great for me.

Used to use pramitol.........never again.

5. GarPA

from PA

Did you guys add anything for adherence to the weeds. I dont believe the label said I needed to add a "sticker". Lesco also told me a sticker was not needed.

6. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I've sprayed about 40 acres so far this year, it works great as both a post and pre control. I haven't used a sticker with it, no need. Make sure it stays suspended in the water, it tends to settle. It sounds to me that you aren't mixing it at the right ratio,
    what rig are you using to spray it?

7. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

In the case I bought, "stickers", were included in a packet.

I included the stickers w/ a 2-4-d, Round-up mix.

You can never be to sure about any product.

Always exceed (within limitations).

8. GarPA

from PA

Steve...just using an ECHO backpack sprayer. I may have not agitated it enough since you guys are happy with the results. I did mix it at a little higher ratio than the label called for.

I'll try it again in a gravel prkg lot this weekend.....assuming it stops raining which is doubtful...

9. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

i have excellent results with sahara. i spray alot of areas with it so i use a 25 gal spot sprayer. recently i used scythe mixed in to burn down any weeds figuring by the time the sahara activates, the weeds will already have disappeared. i check the control on my jobs every few weeks...i did mix one batch that i forgot to use glyphosate or the scythe and it took awhile for control .