Sahara, Pramitol, or round up?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I did a search already.
    I see that pramitol and sahara are great for total control along fences and so forth.
    However I have a customer who has a pine "grove" that is loaded with briars.
    Can I use a sterilant there or will it damage the pines as well?
    I could do the round up treatments except that this guy is the furthest customer from the shop and he is also the one I believe will be complaing if things arent perfect and I don't have the time or desire to be driving an hour every time he calls.

Any advice?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Around desirable plants, I use R-up with Surflan (oryzalin). If there are a lot of broadleaf weeds, I may also add in some 2,4D or other broadleaf herbicide. Pramitol (prometon) will damage desirable plants.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

pramtoil and sahare will kill trees as will any soil sterilent the get in to the ground and the roots take it up

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

That what I was worried about guys.
    Thanks for the word.
    I guess I'll stick with round up.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

As already suggested, You can also consider using a pre-emergent tank mixed with the roundup to enhance the effect and it won't take any additional labor, and it will help. And yes, pines a shallow rooted, and you will see damage to them. OOPS!

EG