Salaried employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J and M Mowing, May 22, 2004.

1. J and M Mowing

J and M Mowing LawnSite Member

Does anyone have salaried employees? I'm trying to figure out if it would be more cost effective to pay my guys a salary throughout the year or keep them hourly and hope I have enough work for them during the winter months to keep them from looking for jobs elsewhere. Yearly commercial contracts would help me keep up with the payroll. This is my second year in the business and I don't like the idea of paying my guys by the hour when we aren't cutting because of drive time, etc. Any ideas. Thanks

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I kind of tried a different type of salary (guarantee pay) but I found out I was throwing away thousands of dollars a year for it

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The laws on salaried vs. hourly pay vary state by state. You cant just put a worker bee on salary because you think it would be more cost effective.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

plus, i heard on here a guy who was salary during the summer, and hourly in winter. NOTHING the employee could do about it to stop it, because there was no written anything .

Trevor

5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Your trying to figure out how to pay employess less money for the same amount of work. What if your customers did that. Pay a man a mans wage.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

When I had several crews working for me, every single employee was on salary. Each one of them had a title and management responsibility. But when they worked 60 hrs. per week in summer they only worked 25-30 hours per week in the late fall and winter. From Thanksgiving till Easter they would work no more than 30 hours. I gave them extra perks during the year that made them happy as well. Except that I myself was a real jerk to work with.

7. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Check your state laws first. In Georgia if you have a employee on salary they must be supervising a crew of 3 or more. They must also have the ability to hire and fire people within the company. If they don't meet these criteria they must be paid hourly.