salary problem with my employer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jan 4, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I am have a disagreement with my boss on my wages and I was hoping for some objective views and opinions from you guys.

so this is the story. my original agreement with my boss about compensation was this: Irrigation division manager to paid salary of X amount a year to be paid over 52 weeks. now he says he is going to have to lay me off which I think is BS because the point of salary is you work like a dog in the summer season for the same amount regardless of the hours and in the winter i should get a pay check whether I work or not.

The way i see it if he wants to lay me off then i sould be hourly and he owes me for 390 hrs of overtime.

what do you guys think?

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Propose that to him. If he won't go for it, and won't pay you this winter, find a new job. If you have the agreement in writing you may be able to get him to pay up if you get a lawyer involved. If none of the above works, then find a decent employer.

3. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

yep - the two concepts are polar opposites. I pay my foremen a salary and they are having a great winter sitting by the fireplace with their wives right now and will be through the winter. I occasionally ask them to do things that might help me out in the winter but I pay whether they work or not. Summer they work 50-70 hours a week.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might ask him point blank whether he would be wanting you to return next year, and get a better idea of what your standing is.

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

he absolutly wants me back I am the only one who knows whats going on in irrigation and all the irrigation customers know me and expect me or one of my helpers to be doing the work and not to mention knowing the ins and outs of the systems we service. he just doesnt want to pay me what he owes me.

6. I'm with you Greenmonster. You could very easily get the state agency involved on your side. He owes you major back pay.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Go to the dept of labor.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the relationship is otherwise okay, try to discuss the matter first. Plainly state that you took a salary on the condition that it was a 52-week position. If the DOL smacks him around, he may not want to rehire you, so have some employment alternatives lined up.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Your employer is screwing you. get all your facts and figures and show him how he is screwing you around and if need be you'll have to go to the labor board. He will probably find a way to fire you after that, but is he the kind of boss you want to work for if he does that?

On another note, I am going to offer my primary tech salary for 2008. But it would be paid out April 1 through December 31. This will hopefully help him budget a little better. We have slow times in September before blow outs start, and we usually wrap up around Dec. 1. I try not to pay wages to him or myself the first quarter, thus allowing me to not make any tax deposits for that quarter. We rarely work then anyhow. When we do have something going on during that time, I'll throw him some cash instead.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Sticky situation.

in my exp a salary = bust you hump in the summer and scrape by with 40 hrs of what ever in the winter....

good luck call him out look in his eye's and have him lay down what he expects of you.