1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sales Pitches

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by clallen03, Jan 31, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been mowing yards all my life, but this year I have decided to start up my company. I know I am going to have to be able to sell my service to my clients in order to get the account but I need a little help on a sales pitch.

Can some of you'll help me out with a sales pitch? Im just starting out with maint. then I will hopefully move add landscaping once I learn a little more about the industry.

What are some of the sales techniques that are used by the you'll?

Thanks for the help!:)
  2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I never have had to do a sales pitch, just make sure to always do great work and act natural and you will always have plenty of jobs to do. One thing that could help though would be to not call them yards, but call them lawns it sounds more professional. Good Luck and welcome to Lawn Site!:waving:
  3. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

If you'r just starting out and don't have any customers you will have to go after them. Start in an area you can work in, simply go door to door, introduce yourself, let them know you are in the business of providing Lawn Care, (insert your service here) and would like to give them a quote for the service. (shut up now, wait for reply) they will either say, yes OK, and you give an estimate or they say, not interested. Go on to next house. Don't take the "no's" personal. It's just business. remember the numbers, in any sales 80% of the people will say no, 20% will be interested enough to listen, 10% will be interested enough to listen to ALL of your presentation, only 2 if your good will be a customer. Sales, is Sales, is Sales. Keep knockin'
    Good Luck with it, and stay positive!
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

And after you have given you quote shut up again, the first one to talk looses. Many times there will be a pregnant pause where the contractor feels time has stopped and will say anything to get it moving again, this usually involves you suggesting you may be able to lower the price. Another ice breaker is "have you made a decision for you lawn service for the upcoming year."
  5. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your post.

This weekend I plan to go door to door in some of the communities I want to work in. I have some flyers mad up and I just want to have my pitch right before I knock on the door. These are both great openers and that is what I need. I show my knowledge inthe conversation later on.

Does anyone else have any suggestion?
  6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure to smile:D. Good Luck
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone has a different approach to selling. The more you do the better you become. You need to be able to read people, identify what they want, be able to open their minds so they can see what you are selling/up selling how their property will look, present it in a way that they[customer] understands( every customer is different) and close the deal.
    While you walk the property you will be able to get a good understanding of what the customer wants. Always have an estimate sheet with you while walking and jot down some short notes about what's needed. Pick out 1 or 2 areas on their property and compliment them on having the nicest maple, rose bush, unique front door, mail box or whatever. You need to be able to give an estimate as soon as your done walking the property. Clearly go over what you feel the customer needs and ask them if you covered everything. Add it all up and tell the customer the cost for your service. I personally don't pause and wait for the customer to answer at this point. After the cost is given, immediately ask the customer if they would like you to start this week or next? At this point, shut up. The customer will immediately say" Start as soon as you can", "Start next week", "I have a couple other estimates to get", "I can't afford that", " I'll call you after I talk it over with my wife/husband" and the list goes on.
    It will become second nature to you the more you do.

Good luck,

8. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

I agree with Carothers,

Very good point!! Use the assumed close. When I get to the point of having given the estimate, assuming you got that far, I do exactly that, ask when do you want to start? Actually, most of the time my contacts ask Me "when can you start" by now. Always give at least two options, like do you want to start tomorrow, or next week. Have the estimate/work order filled out by now, turn it around to face the customer and hand them your pen to sign with.

When I am selling lawn spraying, at this point I just say, "we have the truck with us and we can do your first application right now, I will leave this Lawn Spray Contract with you while I am getting the truck set up, and you can get me a check.

There's a million ways to go about selling, little techniques, gestures, etc. Most comes from experience. You can learn alot from some good sales books though.

Everyone is giving good advice, take pieces of all and form your own method.

Good Luck.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

All due respect the assumed close is as old as the dirt your standing on, a classic snake oil salesman close. Get your foot in the door, Have a questionnaire prepared. The basics name address etc. preferred method of contact cell e-mail home phone etc. I also like to get the pool guys # so if I notice a problem I can call him directly and get things moving, clients really appreciate this. Also have a spot for the pets names ( I always carry dog biscuits so when they are barking and jumping on me I can shut them up). Do they want edging, fertilizing, low voltage lighting checked, watering pots, picking up animal waste, mulching, fall leaf clean-up... you get the picture. This will set you apart from every other guy to knock on the door. Shows some forethought, preparation, professionalism, It will definitely set you apart. There are a slew of other questions to ask, you know your market. Then politely say I am going to take a walk around and prepare my estimate, when I return with it all I ask is a yes or no answer, I don' want to pressure you I just don't want to knock on anymore doors than I need to. If you need to think about it get other estimates what ever I will assume that is a no and continue to door knock until my route is full. If you close the sale ask if they know anyone else that may benefit from your service. Referrals are always better than cold calls. With a little luck my client info form will be attached. well I can get it loaded but not attached, sorry I need to get out in the field.

Attached Files:

10. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Good, simple advice! I always call it yard....Lawn does sound alot better. Its my midwestern upbringin'!