Sales Process for Chem Apps.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PlantGuys, Jul 13, 2008.

1. PlantGuys

PlantGuys LawnSite Member

What is your sales process for residential lawn app customers? We currently take the sales call and then schedule an appointment with the customer and do the estimate and sale at the same time (we do annual agreements).

However this process limits me to the number of estimates I can schedule in any given time. We are considering the following:

- do the estimate and leave on the door with our other sales literature and a copy of our annual agreement

- phone the customer for follow-up and have the customer return the signed agreement by mail

This would free me up to cover a lot more sales calls. Any suggestions or processes that are working for you?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I do both. I have a higher closing rate if the prospective client is home. At the same time, it takes me a lot longer to do a bid if the homeowner is there asking questions and making small talk. It's give and take. I can do 20 plus bids in a day if most of the people aren't home.

3. PlantGuys

PlantGuys LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input lawntamer. I have the same experience, but I think the overall ability to put out more bids in a shorter period of time will result in more sales.

I like to do the estimate and close the sale with the customer home, but it takes me an average of an hour to do the sales call.

4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We promise an estimate within 48 hours.

I prefer to leave a complete estimate package on the frontdoor. I also ask them to call with questions or to start their service.

I don't do followup calls or do sale pitches. That would no doubt increase sale closings but, I do not like doing it.

Our average for closing a sale is 1 out of 7 which suits are need for new accounts.(any more indicates price is too low, any less too high.)

I should point out that we leave several pieces of information with our estimate about their lawn and why we recommend certain services.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Once I finished high school and was attending college, I worked part time during the winters and fulltime during the summers for a very large lawn care company (10,000 clients). I was # 1 in sales across Canada for 2 winters in a row. Here's how it went.

Prospect gets call from a street list, telling them an estimator is on the street in the next couple of days to quote some of the neighbours and we wanted to provide them with a quote. No obligation, its free, and they dont have to be home.

The next day, a lawn tech goes out with pre-filled forms, measures property, writes pricing on form from a chart, including size of lawn, etc. Leaves it in their mailbox and makes sure they have a "Special Pre-Pay and Save 10%" sticker on it.

That evening a sales guy will follow up from the office and close them or file them.

The room would have approx 20 telemarketers and 5 sales guys. I would close 20-25 leads per night, others would be at 15-20. This went on from October to roughly end of February. It would continue on a smaller scale for upselling aeration overseeds, grub treatments, deep root feeding, etc throughout the year to existing customers.

That company is still in business today except alot smaller, as the pesticide ban has taken a toll on them. Hope this has helped.

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

We all do leads a little different but I think Gary is leaving quite abit of business on the table. Normally when we do non solicited leads (client called us) our closing percentage is at 65-75%. Compared to the day of phone solicited leads (telemarketing)of 15-20%. Normally I have found if the prospect calls us they are interested especially if this is a referral form an existing customer.

I think by following up you would go from 1 out of 7 to 3-5 out of 7 if not higher. You have already invested the money running the lead and many prospective customer expect a call and follow up.

I'm thinking of doing a Mpeg/ DVd lead for customers regarding their properties. The cost of recordable DVD's is rather cheap and Mpeg can be sent via e-mail highlighting areas on their property. For now I'm in the early stage and trying it out. Need to learn how to pan the camera smoother with less shakes:dancing: I feel with everything going High tech using the digital age my help out. Too early to tell right now just messing around.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Plantguys

As a one man band and the cost of fuel I only do estimates when the customer is home. I also only give a customer an approx time when I will be working in his neighborhood. I tell the customer not to wait at home if they have a short trip to make. I will phone them 10 to 15 minute before I come that Afternoon. If they are not home I will try to call later that day because I am in their area all day. This seems to work well for me and I normally Treat at the same time. I carry a Lap Top and Printer in my Truck for the Paper work. I do occasionally have to make special trips for estimates But I hate to a price without directly speaking with the customer and find without the personal contact I am just a Price to them.