Sales Tax in WI

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by buddhaman, Oct 1, 2007.

1. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Does anybody know if there is sales tax on mowing services in WI? I called the state to check and got 2 different answers, go figure. Just checking what others do. I currently charge sales tax.

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I charge sales tax as its a service charge a client of mine just took a class on it and he said that maint. yes

3. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

LawnsRUs I see that you do snow plowing also. I was told there is no tax on that service, correct?

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

First, nobody every charges a sales tax, the tax is merely being collected from customers on behalf of the state. Since you already are collecting tax money, you must have established an account with the state so that the tax money can be remitted. Most likely, you had to have applied for, and were granted, a license to collect the money. As part of that license, what services are taxable, and what services are not taxable undoubtedly are clearly stated. The answer to your question is likely in the licensing materials you already have in your possession.

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

yes.. there is 5% sales tax in wisconsin, specifically on lawn care. .. it actually mentions lawn care in the tax code.

i'm paying $500 next week of it.

i pay quarterly .... online.