1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sales Tax question!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Perfect Lawn, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Perfect Lawn

Perfect Lawn LawnSite Member

If you order a product from The State Indiana, must you pay sales Tax if you ordered it by phone, and they are mailing it to you in a different state? Because I do not live in Indiana.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on where its shipped out of. I dealt with a company in FL and thought I wouldn't have to pay sales tax but ended up paying it anyway because their distribution wharehouse was in Chicago. If you live in another state and the item is shipped from IN you shouldn't have to pay sales tax.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

In MN, you're supposed to file a "use tax".
  4. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

Feds are trying to pass a law, that anything you buy out of state no matter what state, you have to pay sales tax on.
    That includes new and used items.:hammerhead:
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

In South Dakota, you would pay SD sales tax to the Department of Revenue, and no tax from the state is was shipped from.

Term the use they is Nexis.
  6. Perfect Lawn

Perfect Lawn LawnSite Member

I did a search and fl, miss,tenn,min. if you order from their state from out of stateyou must pay their sales tax. I ordered something from In. was told there would be no tax and they charged me anyway. The woman argued with me that everyone pays tax no matter where you live. I never payed a out of state tax before.
  7. Your supposed to in Indiana to, nobody does it, just hope they never audit you.
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Technically, it all depends on what state the company claims the transaction actually took place, and it also depends on whether or not that company files sales taxes in your state.

Take Office Depot for example, You order something online, you will pay sales tax because they have a store in your state and will ship to you from your state, therefore they claim it is an in state transaction and will charge you sales tax.

I just ordered items form a company in California, but I am doing a factory pickup within my state. I was not charged tax because they do not file sales tax with Georgia. Technically, they should have charged my CA tax, as the sale was completed in CA, however, since the item was it being picked up at the factory, they consider it a wholesale sale, and I did not pay the CA tax, nor the GA tax.

I like to buy my vehicles from out of state dealers, because they do not fiels sales tax for my state, therefore, it saves me $$$.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

In MN, if you bought a vehicle out of state, you'd pay the sales tax when you licensed it in MN.

If you didn't have a record of sale, they'd look up approximate value and charge you the tax value there.
  10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I thought they would in GA too, but I have done two vehicles this way, purcahsed used from dealers, and GA never charged me the tax.