Sales tax

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Feb 9, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Michigan. :confused: Governor is talking about a sales tax on services--like lawn care. Is anybody in other states collecting this tax. How does it work and is the bookkeeping a big hassle? Do customers complain? How does your invoice have to change? Computer changes?
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for bringing this up in this specific forum Riggle. I know it's all over Plowsite and other threads here, but my question is, do we tax for just our service, or do we have to seperate out the materials we are applying? I'm thinking this is going to be a huge headache!! Sure, 2% for mowers and plowers is hassle enough, but man, I don't know how we'd set up a seperate service fee. Something like a flat per stop fee and tax on that? My head's spinning, time for another beer!
  3. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member

Sales tax on lawn services in pa is a must by law but''according to my accountant'' if joe homeowner gives you cash after each service then there are ways around it..that could open a big can of worms
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

We have been collecting sales tax in Indiana for years. they say if you use a product to perform a service it's taxable. its just one more thing to do every month.
  5. MStine315

I know a lot of other states do tax on services, but that's my question, do you tax on just the service portion, or the whole visit, which includes materials that have already been taxed?
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

my understanding in indiana, and the way i have been doing it is as follows. if you itemized you billing (labor/materails) then you can divide the tax, ie... if you treat a lawn and bill it as: $30, then you need to tax the whole amount. but if you itemize, like: fert $20 and labor $10, then you charge tax on the $20. i do a ton of maintenance and thats how i charge, customers want a detailed bill anyway, makes them fell warm inside. hay indyturf, do you still have those old sprayers sitting aorund? i lost your number.
  7. MStine315

Cash will get you out of paying a lot more than just sales tax. I'll leave it at that.
  8. MStine315

Thanks Teeca, that's kind of what I was after.
  9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

And get you into paying a lot more too:laugh:
  10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Always had it in Jersey. The most corrupt state in the WORLD!:cry: