Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by Myers Mowing, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Myers Mowing

Myers Mowing LawnSite Member

I do lawn care maintenance on a property that is owned by a company that is out of state, do we charge them sales tax?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Yes,the service is in your state. At least that's how I do it.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your question implies that you hold a Sales Tax license, and regularly collect from others.

Assuming this is the case, then you must have access to the provisions of your license, either on paper, or online. Since every state manages their Sales Tax collections differently, your best path for an answer is the TX Dept of Revenue (or whoever manages the Sales Tax licensing). Trying to get an answer on LS with contractors in every state (and some in other countries) is not going to get you the answer you need. Getting answers for others on how they work in their state is not of help. Your own licensing agency is the only sure source of the right answer.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Yes you collect it. They are doing business in Texas on property located in Texas and therefore local and state sales taxes are applicable.

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Myers,
    In Arkansas you do also if the property is owned by and paid for by a Business. All taxes apply.
    I have had residential customer's work out of their home and pay by business check......they get taxed also.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Only matters where the work is being done.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

In, PA, it is the contractor's domocile, not work location.

This is why these threads must be referenced to the state rules. What applies on one state may not apply in another. Rules are state-unique.

8. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Posted via Mobile Device.

Are you saying that because I am located in butler county that if I do work in allegheny county I only do 6% in allegheny county? I have always done 6% in butler county and 7% in allegheny county. It is a real pain in the a** and I am going to check into that a little more.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

rkk95 - My post reflects my understanding. I do not live in Allegheny county, but have a couple of residential customers in A. Co. Yes, I collect 6% from them, just as I do for customers outside A. Co. The domicile explanation was given to me long ago by an accountant, and i have followed that guide.