Sales Tax?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thefarmer4, Dec 9, 2000.

1. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

I currently charge Sales Tax on any products that I resell to customers. I have a NYS sales tax certificate. My question is are we suppose to collect on services such as mowing and hedge trimming. I know some of the other major plantings fall under capital improvments and sale tax does not get charged on labor.

Is there any from NYS on this Site?

Thanks

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

bob
    Thanks for the link

4. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I'm from N.Y. and I collect N.Y. S. sales tax on mowing, shrub trimming, cleanups etc. Just add %7 to the bill and send it in every 3 months. My accountant told me this had to be done when I went in business.

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

You better check on when your payments are due. I'm in Ohio and I have to submit every month. You don't want to get tagged on this one.

6. lja

lja LawnSite Member

HEY FARMER .....IM FROM NYS BUT A LIL MORE SOUTH ...NYC ..

HEY JAYBEE .....WHERE DID U GET THAT FIGURE ...7%..

RICKS LAWN CARE

7. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

New York State sales tax is paid quarterly. Actually the state doesn't send the forms until about 2 weeks before the end of the quarter. Like anything else every state does things a little different. If you have a very small business that doesn't create a lot of revenue you can apply to pay sales tax only once a year.

8. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Dittos to Greenkeepers-
    Uncle Sam here in Ohio says you gotta charge sales tax when providing a service for profit. Sales tax is due 23rd of each month in the Buckeye state, & $50 fine added on if it's late.
    Mike, have you got a call from state dept. yet? They were trying to get me on a 4 or 6 month sales tax cycle, since my revenue is less than larger biz's. I told them no way; keep me monthly. Sometimes money is tight & I have trouble coming up with an extra grand or 2 just laying around......

[Edited by yardsmith on 12-12-2000 at 05:06 AM]

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

HOW MANY OF U HAVE CUSTOMERS WHO DONT THINK THEY NEED TO PAY SALES ? do u itemise the tax on the bill? i have a few customers who get their bill, ex. $100 + $6 sales tax=$106, and have the nerve to send me a check for $100. what do i do? lose the cust? report them to the state? what if i went to a resturaunt and the bill was $50 plus $3 tax=$53, and i only left a fifty?

10. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

If you don't want to lose the customer you have another option. You can take the sales tax out of the total bill. This will give you less profit. In other words on a $100 bill you would only make $94.33 and the rest would be sales tax. I guess it depends on how bad you want to keep the customer. I charge what I charge and add .o7% sales tax. Tell your customer that if your business gets audited their name could show up on your business filing. Good Luck