Sales Tax??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 24ON48OFF, Mar 6, 2005.

1. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

How do you do the sales tax. Do you say $25 plus tax or take it out of the $25. Or another option quote a price of $27. Does $27 sound funny to the customer?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

are you talking about service taxes or item taxes?
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I read somewhere that i have to hit $5000.00 first in sales and then required to charge tax, I might be wrong..
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

You would do well to check with the state dept. of revenue. Don't go by something you think you read somewhere. You can cause a lot of trouble for yourself if you don't get the facts.

I don't know how it is in Texas, but in Indiana services are not taxable, just merchandise. If services are taxable, people expect there to be sales tacked on, so you don't need to say "plus tax". Just add it to the bill and you won't have any problems. Also be sure to forward it to the proper agency. payup Could come back to bite you if you don't.

Hope this helps.
  5. 24ON48OFF

IT would benefit you to charge the tax from the beginning. When you hit $5001 then you owe tax on all the money you made from the first $ :dizzy:
  6. Toy2

Ok, quote " if I exceed $5000.00 during the most recent four quarters then I can begin to collect taxes on the first quarter after the threshold is exceeded"??
  7. 24ON48OFF

wont you still be $5000 behind at the beginning of the next quarter?
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

It should read, "If you are going to make over $5,000 over the next four quarters you need to be collecting sales tax." Thats the law in Texas. You don't have to take my word for it, but you can check the state website and it will say the same thing. And yes, you should be collecting sales tax on that first $5,000 as well.
  9. Toy2

Thanks for the update. :)