1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sales Team

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AAATreeLandscape, Oct 24, 2002.

1. AAATreeLandscape

AAATreeLandscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thinking about starting a sales team division in my company to aquire both commercial and residential contracts. I wanted to know how to go about this and if any of you have had good experiences with this type of marketing???
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Exactly how large is your company to start a sales team division?

3. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

With a competent sales team your going to need access to a lot of capital to handle the growth. An average sales person can bring any business new business with a large number of calls. Sales come down to ratios: calls to appointments, appointments to closes. Work the number backwards to give you the desired results.

Brings to mind the movie Glengary Glenross with Alec Baldwin.
    AB(f)C: ALWAYS BE $#@!%&G CLOSING!
  4. AAATreeLandscape

from MA

I believe large enough considering most of the contracts will be for next season and I can hire more based on the contracts. We also have a cleaning division as well as a painting division and I think thats were we might have the edge on some of the competition. We were running 2 crews for landscaping 1 crew tree work, 1 crew painting, 1 crew cleaning. As of last year. I have 1 foreman assigned to each crew and will likely be back for next year. As far as laborers I was possibly thinking of using an employee leasing co. or if not I can easily get the help. I also plan on using the contracts to show to lenders so I can upgrade and expand my equipment line. I wanted to know how other companies set up there sales team and how they were used.
  5. AAATreeLandscape

from MA

Anybody else???
  6. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We use salespeople. Our sales people do not wait for potential clients to call in. They are expected to go out and "beat-the-bush" AKA: Cold calling. Guess what, It works! Most green industry salespeople are dealing with people who have inquired about their service. When cold calling ,you can have tremendous results with the correct pay structure and of course with the correct salespeople.

7. AAATreeLandscape

from MA

I get the cold calling part and actually have a pretty good marketing campain using that method. My problem is setting up the pay structure and what kind of script do you give to your sales reps?
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Having a sales division will certainly have an impact. What matters is what responsibilities you give them and the criteria you set up for the clients they are able to actively seek out.

Creating an ideal client profile and making certain your sales staff adheres to that criteria will save you a lot of headaches and unprofitable situations.

As far as paying sales people...depends.

If they are selling installation work, their generated revenue will be different than if they are selling maintenance contracts. Ultimately, when and how to pay them is where it gets tricky.

For installation, the job is done, you get paid, they get paid.

For maintenance, it is not as simple or cut and dry. That is another reason to try and secure maintenance contracts annually on a monthly payment schedule.

You also have to decide if your "sales" people will only be doing sales. If you can justify paying them a base salary for just sales work, more power to you. But if you can't justify that, maybe they need other responsibilities - running leads, estimating, client retention, service calls, etc...

I think starting out you may want to require a sales staff to do all of the tasks mentioned above. In essence, they become account represntatives and not just sales people....which is good because it requires them to be cautious about what they sell and who they sell to....simply because they are required to have consistent interaction with the client.

If they are just selling, they might be more proned to selling anyone, aything, anytime, at any price.

Hope this helps a little.
  9. This is a question for a CPA not us.

BTW 3.5% of gross plus salery is a good number.