salt and sand purchase

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by n y snow pros, Aug 13, 2000.

1. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to those of you who buy salt in bulk,when do you purchase your supply of materials and how much do you buy? How many of you use straight salt and why?

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have packaged my bag salt, up to the mulch plant this weekend.

2. I got my bulk salt last week so i could bag up 8 yards of it this weekend. My supplier a large contractor, told me he could deliever salt to me any day of the week mon - fri, same day i call. He also delievers all my salt and sand mix. This is the first year i won't be picking it up at his yard. Anyways i got 1 60 yard tri axel of salt, this past week, i plan on having 120 yards of salt sand mix delivered in october.

Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Geoff thats a large triaxel that will hold 60yards

4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Dino, it is 50 or 60, not sure would have to check the invoice. I know its one big truck load. It wasn\'t a dump truck, it was a trailer pulled behind a tractor. I guess you could look at it as a 50 or 60 yard dump trailer.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 08-14-2000 at 02:36 AM]

5. Alan

Alan Member

Geoff, that's something like 45 tons plus, are you sure on that quantity? I don't see how they can haul upwards of 90,000 lbs of net weight. What is salt costing over there, are you buying by the ton or by the yard?

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Ok

I wasn't there when it was delivered. I gotta check with the yard guy to see how it got out there, meaning one or two trips. I told them to bring me out a tractor trialer load, of salt. Now that i have been thinking about this it is probably closer to 40 yards in a trailer. Maybe they had another truck come out with them. I gotta check the invoice, they may have only delivered 40 yards.

Geoff

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Sorry Geoff, most of us are just anal retentive about little things like that.
    Dino

8. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Its my fault. It is 40 yards by the way. I just called up my supplier and told him to bring me out a trailer load. I wasn't too worried, because i am only going to get billed for what i had delievered. I am not worried about my supplier taken me for a ride.

Geoff

9. Alan

Alan Member

Geoff, if you don't feel it's privileged information, what is your cost per yard? We're buying by the ton here and it's $60 at the depot.

10. Guest

We buy our salt picked up at the docks for $65.00 per yard and our sand picked up at the quarry for $ 7.00 per yard and then we mix it on our own. We have only one six wheeler truck so we haul all day one day and then spend the next day mixing it. It only takes half a day to mix 50 yards. We only keep 50-75yards on hand at a time and when we start running low we just get more.Also who is the supplier or contact for the Magic-O?