Salt is a killer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Breezmeister, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

This is a gear box out of a Buyers Salty Dog. Yea, I have tried over at PlowSite. I'm told this is a non serviceable part.....

The problem with this is that the bearing on top has siezed up.

What I'm looking for is the manufacture, a parts break down. Somthing that will aide me in rebuilding this, it's just a gearbox like that you would find on the old Bobcats....

And I did talk to the nice folks over at Buyers.......

GearBox1.jpg

GearBox2.jpg

GearBox3.jpg

ericg likes this.
  2. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get it apart you should be able to match up bearings. It should be easy enough to figure out, take the end plate off andd see what it looks like.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

ericg likes this.
  5. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Got most of it apart now, but I like to see what I'm getting into....A parts break down would really help.

ericg likes this.
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Well, man...

I hear you on the "non-serviceable part" bit, like yourself I have found that is not always true, but looking at that, unless you have a clear idea on how to proceed it's looking like a frustrating afternoon already lol, have you found out how much is a new gearbox with the axle?

7. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

I have 4 months to get it up and running, and a new one is $396.20. It's not about the money, first snow storm and it would pay for it's self. I just hate throw away equipment for the cost of a ten dollar part.

ericg likes this.
  8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

It looks to be pretty much just an industrial gearbox. Give your local power transmission/bearing house a call. Or GOOGLE the numbers and see what ya get.
    One thing I noticed. The endplate/bearing carrier is gonna have to come off(obviously). If yer lucky, the bearing might come out with the shaft, in which case all ya gotta do is cut/remove the sprocket. If not, yer gonna have to do a lot of cleaning up to get the shaft thru the bearing. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  9. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Just sent off an e-mail with those pics to Applied Industrial Tech Inc.. They used to be Bearings Inc at one time. I had completely forgotten about them, Good Idea !

Tried that last night, no joy there..

Getting the sprocket off shouldn't be a problem, been putting a few drops of Dexron on it every day. But that stuff stinks ! And I have a roll of emery paper. When I have a few free hours, that shaft will shine......

ericg likes this.